What's new

Help me save my photos

tomseeley

Reaction score
I'm running iOS 7 on an iPhone 5. I have some photos I've taken, stored in my "camera roll" where iOS puts them. I want to put them in a separate album that only I can see.

I can create an album and move the photos to it but once I do that, when I try to delete the photos from the camera roll, iOS deletes them from the dedicated album also.

How can I prevent that, so the photos ONLY show up in the dedicated album? Or can't I?

Then assuming I do this, how do I prevent others from seeing photos in the dedicated album even if they do see the ones in my camera roll? Or can't I do that either?

Thx.

All photos are stored in the camera roll, any dedicated folder merely has links to the photos in the camera roll. It's not possible to have the photos in a folder and not in the camera roll.

Anybody that has access to your iPhone can see every photo stored in the camera roll and any folders you've created. iOS devices were conceived of as single user devices. A guest account with limited access, like on your computer is not possible on an iPhone or any other iOS device.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, tomseeley!

The images you see in your album are just "links" to those in your Camera Roll.

It's possible to crop them, so no one can see immediately what you're trying to hide, but a small part of them will still be visible.

While it's not possible to hide photos in iOS 7, you can do so when you update to iOS 8 (8.4.1 is the latest version).

Last edited:
Thx. Maybe I'll move up to ios 8.
You'd better do it right away then, as iOS 9 will be released in just over 2 hours. The signing window for iOS 8 could close in as little as 24 hours or as long as a few weeks, there's no way to tell in advance.

Hey thanks. I just upgraded to ios 8.4.1.

However, I'm not seeing yet how to select a particular photo in my camera roll and then hide it from view. Can someone please help me with that?

Thx.

Tap and hold on a picture you wish to hide.
You'll see this:
image.png

Should also work in portrait mode. This screenshot was taken on my iPhone in landscape mode.

Last edited:
That doesn't work with my iPhone on iOS 9.
Mine is still updating, so this is a screenshot from iOS 8.4.1. To hide it in iOS 9, you have to use the Share icon. It's working that way on my iPad, I hope that's how it will work on my iPhone once it's up to date.

Mine is still updating, so this is a screenshot from iOS 8.4.1. To hide it in iOS 9, you have to use the Share icon. It's working that way on my iPad, I hope that's how it will work on my iPhone once it's up to date.
Thanks, I found it.
image.png