What's new

Help! iPhone won't restore

Andy

Reaction score
Hi. Hope somebody is able to help me, here's what happened.
I own an iPhone 4 (iOS 4.2.1) unlocked with Gevey (for unlock) and it was Jailbroken. Two days ago I was updating an app through Cydia, I think it was MyWifi. When it finished downloading and updating my iphone rebooted itself. When it was on the skull logo (the one that comes after the Apple logo) got stuck and wouldn't get past that.
The first thing I tried was a reset holding home and sleep button because I thought it wasn't a big deal. When I did, same thing happened. Stuck in the skull logo.
Next thing I tried was waiting to get home and plug it to the laptop and see if that would fix it but it didn't. iTunes didn't recognize the phone and wouldn't get past skull logo.
I was looking up this issue online and most of the people were writting that they fixed it setting the phone in DFU mode and doing a restore. That's what I did but when I tried to restore iTunes (10.4.1.10) told me it would update my iOS to 4.3.1 and since Gevey supports that one I didn't care so I waited for iTunes to download the update. When I tried to finally restore my iPhone when it was almost done I got "1013" error. I once again looked it up and the fix people had for that one was deleting a line on a notepad from the filepath C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and after that Jailbreak it with Greenpois0n I think. Like this vid
I first tried (with iTunes closed like they say on the video) just deleting the lines on that filepath but didn't work and gave me back the same error. Tried the Jailbreak and it said the iPhone was jailbroken succesfully but I would still get the same error.
On the comments of the video some people commented they fixed it by just reinstalling iTunes, so I updated iTunes to the latest one (think is 10.5.1) but the problem with this version is that it would restore my iPhone by upgrading it to the iOS 5 and I can't really upgrade it because Gevey Sim unlock method just doesn't work with iOS 5 unless I save the baseband. (Can't really do this with the iPhone as it is now)
Since I had problems with that last version of iTunes I went back and installed the version 10.4.1.10 and tried to restore the iPhone again to the iOS 4.3.1 but now when the restore is almost done I get this error "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An unknown error ocurred.(1)"
Running out of options here, would really appreciate some help. It's been my third day without my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I think of is that it could be because I don't have the latest version of iTunes installed, but I can't lose my unlock. :-/

Hai. i think i messed up my iPhone 4 trying to downgrade my 5.1.1 iOS to 5.0.1 or older. I don't really like 5.1.1 and decided to downgrade it, it had a tethered redsn0w jailbreak, and while trying to restore it using the new .ipsw, a random error appeared during the restore and after that i can't get my phone to work. I tried to boot it using redsn0w , but doesn't work. The apple log stays there for a few minutes, after that the apple logo with an ampty bar appears down the apple (just like it was restoring, but it appears even if its not connected to my comp), and then after that a little loading circle appears and stays there for a while, then it turns off and everything starts again. I tried to enter DFU mode and normally restore it, but nothing. I tried to enter recovery mode then restore it, nothing. I need help because i don't really wanna lose my phone, and i can't buy another one. If i could help you i really would, but its a problem for me also.. I tried everything i could, spent all night thinking about what it could be, and nothing solved this. I think the solution for you would work for me, so i hope you get some help.

Thanks to zig9449, now my problem is fixed <3

Last edited:
Ate I guys entering PWNED DFU when trying to restore to a custom iPSW?

And PWNED DFU is not the same as regular DFU.
And you are trying to downgrade to 5.0.1 then you must have 5.0.1 SHSH and use those SHSH blobs to build a custom iPSW with either iFaith or Sn0wbreeze.

If you rely on an unlock then you have no choice but to use iFaith or Sn0wbreeze. Those tools preserve the baseband preventing it from upgrading....which retains your unlocks blue baseband.

If you rely on an unlock and already tried to restore to stock iOS then your out of luck because your baseband got updated and that cannot be undone.

Unlockers MUST ALWAYS use a custom iPSW to restore to in order to keep the unlockable baseband.

If trying to downgrade you must use Tiny Umbrella to download the available SHSH blobs for your device. Whatever shows in the list of iOS versions after clicking the "Save SHSH" button is what you can restore to.

Whatever version of iOS that DOES NOT show in the list is what you will never be able to restore to....unless it is a firmware that is currently being signed.