What's new

HELP iPhone 4 cdma won't turn on stuck on recovery mode after tried to restore.

DonnyC

Reaction score
Please help and read entire post, I know it's extremely!!! long. Any help at all we'll be extremely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I'm new to the forums and I need some help with my iPhone. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, I have the latest version of itunes, and I'm using redsn0w 0.9.15b3, I'm using timy umbrella version 6.01.01.

I received my iPhone 4 cdma from sprint in ios 5.1 and did an OTA update when ios 5.1.1 came out. A while back i jailbroke it on ios 5.1.1 with redsn0w with no issues. Then when rocky raccoon came out to make it an untethered jailbreak I installed it via cydia.

I recently had troubles with it, the ram started dropping after a respring from about 200mb down to 13mb then it would automatically respring it self, but not in safe mode in the normal jailbroken state. It kept at this for a while (about a half hour) until i decided to shut it down with the slide to power off.

I didn't use many packages from cydia while it still worked, some of them being sbsettings, iCaughtU pro, ipsum, and siriport (the new one). So i decided to restore my iPhone because i didn't care if i lost my jailbreak although i did have shsh blobs saved for it via tinyumbrella and wanted to stay on ios 5.1.1.

So i downloaded my ipsw and used redsnow to stitch my blobs with the ipsw it was successful in doing so. I learned online that you have to have the iPhone in pwned DFU and that tiny umbrella had to have the server running and in the advanced tab in tinyumbrella the box that says "set hosts to cydia on exit" needed to be unchecked, and then finally you could restore. I did all this with no problem but when I went to restore i got error 1600.

It then got stuck in a recovery loop, luckily i managed to get out of it and start my iPhone up, it was still jailbroken and still had the same problem. I decided to try again following all the same steps except this time i went into the host file and deleted the gs.apple.com i had two of them then i learned that i needed one of them so i pasted the one i needed back into the host file this time without the # sign in front of it. I know it saved because i re-opened it and it was how i left it.

After I tried to restore it, I got the same error. I also tried uninstalling my antivirus which is microsoft security essentials. I then tried to just start it up and it got stuck in recovery mode, and itunes, tinyumbrella, and redsn0w won't detect it, and any combination of button pressing hasn't helped so far and I've tried different usb ports.

Please help me i usually fix all the problems with my electronics by myself but this time i just don't know what to do.

I really don't care what version of ios I end up in or how I get there just please tell me how to fix this. :(

Additional Information- my brother had the same problem with his Ipod touch 4th gen same versions and everything but on his i uninstalled sbsettings and his was fine, i wish i did that.

Edit- Please help because if I can't get it fixed my dad is going to cancel service to my iPhone

Edit-I currently can't do anything with my iPhone doesn't show up in itunes, tinyumbrella, redsnow, and ireb, i would have downloaded irec, but can't find a working link, and i tried different usb ports, different cords, and i've tried restaring my computer. I can't try a different computer because the only other computer i have at my house never had itunes before and wont recognize my iPhone.

I don't think my iPhone is fixable if i don't get any replies within like 2 weeks I'll probably try to bring it into an apple store and convince them my phone randomly went to this screen and it won't show up in itunes, and that i have a backup and they can do what ever they want with it to fix it, hopefully i'll pick out one of the genius' that will just wipe it or whatever and not check it for a jailberak or anything, or in best case scenario get a brand new iPhone 4 lol, after this expierence i will probably never jailbreak again.

Last edited:
UPDATE i got it to show up in my computer but its still stuck in recovery loop and still can't restore, any advice?????????

I can put it in recovery mode dfu mode and pwned dfu mode, i tried to use recovery fix in redsn0w but at the end it says missing keys.plist for this build

i went into redsn0w extras even more restore and then i chose my ispw and chose remote for blobs it was uploading iBSS and it was almost done then it said error found device in dfu mode instead of recovery mode i was in pwned dfu mode when i tried this

still any help would be nice please

Last edited:
I see your problem. You didn't remove Siriport before restoring. Siriport mods several files beyond recovery if you will. You have to manually replace them clean files before attempting to restore. From what you posted, I assume you're still on 5.1.1 jailbroken. Try booting it in safe mode. Turn it off while unplugged. Then hold the volume up button while plugging in your phone to your pc. Keep holding it until you reach your springboard. This should put your iPhone into safe mode, which can save you a lot of trouble. See if you can get into this state first

first of all THANK YOU so much for helping me, you are correct im still jailbroken on ios 5.1.1, so you want me to hold the power button with my iphone unplugged until the itunes and usb cable screen disappear, then hold the volume up button and plug my iphone into my computer until the springboard comes up in safe mode then let go of the volume button?

just incase im not on ios 5.1.1 how would i check?

No problem. I would've responded earlier but was in the longest and most pointless meeting of my life.

And yes. If however, just holding the power button doesn't turn it off, holding both the power and home until it turns off. Once you see the black screen, release both immediately. Then proceed with the volume up and plugging in.

so far i have had no luck it is still giving me the itunes and usb cable screen :(

i don't know if you saw my edit but just to be sure how do i check to see if im on ios 5.1.1

is it true even a senior member can't solve my problem all hope could be lost...

thank you for responding so late i hope your still awake to help me lol, if only tinyumbrella's recovery fix worked on ios 5.x.x

Last edited:
Sometimes it's a hardware problem. If I have the device at hand, I can use more drastic measures to get it done since I have access to tools. Plug in your iPhone in recovery mode and use the identify feature on RedSn0w.

Did the restore ever actually progress in iTunes? Or did you just get slammed with errors

the restore did progress, twice, yestarday and today, it stayed at the tiniest little bit on the phone for 10 hours with the apple logo and progress bar not exaggerating this, i got home at 3 and by 1 in the morning it was at the same spot, same for today except i got home at around noon and stopped it by putting it recovery mode after about 8 hours. I stopped it both times with recovery mode

This is what redsn0w says i still don't know why it is calling my iPhone VZW which i'm guessing stands for verizon even though i have sprint maybe because sprint recently got the iPhone?

Based on the last time this iPhone 4-VZW connected in DFU mode:

CPID: 8930
CPRV: 20
CPFM: 03
SCEP: 01
BDID: 06
ECID: 000001E108130D88
IBFL: 00
SRTG: [iBoot-574.4]

i just remembered this when you said it could be a hardware failure the other day i had my phone at about 95% battery in my pocket on ios 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak not in safe mode, yada yada ya, after about a half hour i pulled it out to check my twitter and relized it was pretty hot over 100 degrees F and my battery was below 50% i had no backround apps running i clear them everytime before i lock my iphone so i shut it off

I'll have to look further into this a little more. But I'll throw out a few basic things to check out for. Make sure your IPSW matches the model of your iPhone. Since it's a CDMA iPhone, make sure it's the iPhone3,3 header. If anything, see if you can upgrade to the latest iOS, which is 6.0.1 for the iPhone 4. Put the iPhone into DFU mode, and restore it using RedSn0w instead of iTunes. We can downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 later.

Yes i have the correct header 3,3. I will try to upgrade which i have attempted before. I will also try to restore with redsn0w extras even more restore which i have attempted before lol. This seems to be pointing more and more toward a hardware failure :0

i just tried to restore with redsn0w in dfu it automatically put me in pwned dfu mode when i start the restore it says uploading iBSS then it says uploading iBEC then redsn0w says found device in dfu mode instead of recovery mode

Attachments

• $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 519
  • $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 519
  • $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 506
just did a normal restore in itunes and a progress bar popped up under the apple logo with that little bit of progress my guess is it will stay like this until i enter recovery mode?

I hope your still up lol

i just got the -1 error in itunes and are now back to recovery mode again lol

question, remote or local blobs in redsn0w restore?

Last edited:
Ok I'm gonna to bed. Tomorrow I mean today is another day, lol hopefully you can figure out what I have to do to fix this because I am absolutely stumped.