What's new

Help - Font increases when I turn phone horizontal

srja80

Reaction score
Somehow my setting changed on my iphone4s and I cant figure out how to get it back. I am in my hotmail email account and when I turn the phone from vertical to horizontal my font size increases (it hard to read at the larger font). I don't want it to increase in size. How do I change the setting to keep the same size regardless of whether I have the phone vertical or horizontal?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Somehow my setting changed on my iphone4s and I cant figure out how to get it back. I am in my hotmail email account and when I turn the phone from vertical to horizontal my font size increases (it hard to read at the larger font). I don't want it to increase in size. How do I change the setting to keep the same size regardless of whether I have the phone vertical or horizontal?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

You actually piqued my curiosity with this question. After some testing, under iOS 5.1 beta 3, I found the answer very interesting.

It seems that an email that is formatted in HTML will keeps its font size as long as the font size is either specified or they use one of the 7 pre-built headers.

For straight text only emails, they do in fact change font size.

And I also can not find a setting to change this behavior.

Thanks Skull. that is a little helpful. I noticed a couple emails that retained their font size when turning the phone from vertical to horizontal. I now know the reason is that they are HTML formatted emails.

I'm fairly sure that this setting was not always this way, so I am thinking that I can retain the smaller font size when "flipping" the phone. Any other thoughts from other would be great.

A little more imperical evidence that I uncovered.....

I use the "Good" application for another email account. When I "flip" the phone using the good email application it shows the larger font for a split second and then adjusts back to the same font size as the verticle position. This seems to tell me that the phone is making some adjustment and that it should be possible to retain fonts when "flipping".

It does that for me In a lot of apps like the Internet... But if I'm in text mode it doesn't. I thought it was normal