What's new

Hello Everyone

turbovin13

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Absolutely a brilliant forum. Just the place I was looking for.

Till about a couple of years ago, I used to be anti-Apple, hard core MS follower.

It all changed when my wife insisted on having an iPhone (3GS) when it came to my carrier. I gave in to her wishes and got her one. Then came the iPhone 4 and we got 2 handsets for both of us and subsequently one for my 15 year old son. When the 4S was launched, my wife (naturally) wanted one and as a result got her a 4S and passed on her 4 to my 5 year old daughter. So now we have - 3 x iPhone 4, 1 x iPhone 4S and 1 x iPhone 3GS which I use as a dedicated SatNav (Tomtom) / Music Player aided by an FM transmitter in the car and which also doubles up as a spare phone when we are out and about. We also got 2 x iPad 2 (3G) last year and I got myself a Macbook Air. I will be looking at adding a Lion Server (Mac Mini with a Cinema display) in place of my ageing Windows Home Server and Apple TV to bring the Apple experience to the TV. My son and daughter are also pestering me to replace their Win 7 laptops with MBAs. A pretty long wish list.

Will keep you guys updated with the apple-ficiation of my setup and also be interacting on the forums as and when I can.

All I can say is I have no idea why I stayed away from Apple for such a long time. Better late than never.

Hello Guys,

Absolutely a brilliant forum. Just the place I was looking for.

Till about a couple of years ago, I used to be anti-Apple, hard core MS follower.

It all changed when my wife insisted on having an iPhone (3GS) when it came to my carrier. I gave in to her wishes and got her one. Then came the iPhone 4 and we got 2 handsets for both of us and subsequently one for my 15 year old son. When the 4S was launched, my wife (naturally) wanted one and as a result got her a 4S and passed on her 4 to my 5 year old daughter. So now we have - 3 x iPhone 4, 1 x iPhone 4S and 1 x iPhone 3GS which I use as a dedicated SatNav (Tomtom) / Music Player aided by an FM transmitter in the car and which also doubles up as a spare phone when we are out and about. We also got 2 x iPad 2 (3G) last year and I got myself a Macbook Air. I will be looking at adding a Lion Server (Mac Mini with a Cinema display) in place of my ageing Windows Home Server and Apple TV to bring the Apple experience to the TV. My son and daughter are also pestering me to replace their Win 7 laptops with MBAs. A pretty long wish list.

Will keep you guys updated with the apple-ficiation of my setup and also be interacting on the forums as and when I can.

All I can say is I have no idea why I stayed away from Apple for such a long time. Better late than never.
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Forum Rules

Thanks for sharing, I switched ago. Wondered why no one told me this thing would make my real and digital so much simpler.

I've subscribed to your thread so looking forward to hear what you've been doing.

I started with the iTouch 3gen and never looked back.

Now i have to MacBook Pros ( personal and work), iPad 2, iPhone 4s and apple tv.

Looking to get the Lion Server, iMac, Extreme-port, basically anything apple that increases my work productivity ad always me to work remotely and be fully mobile when travelling and working.

Im also heavy into photography and looking expand my work in that area on some projects.

I haven't jailbroken any yet will upgrade all mu iOS devices then jailbreak the old ones for fun and start digging into the guts, he he, will be apple-fication all over again :)

Thanks for the support by following my thread.

What I am trying to do is I guess what most of the veterans on this forum have achieved long back - trying to make sharing of content across the ecosystem in the house a simple task - not a big list, but the above mentioned Apple devices, plus the TV, XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii, Windows Home Server, Sling box, laser printer, multifunction inkjet printer, Windows 7 Laptops and a few old Windows Mobile handsets.

The home is networked using a combination of WiFi N and powerline ethernet backed by a high speed Fibre internet.

The HomeServer is connected via ethernet and so is the LCD, Sling Box whereas all the other devices are on wifi. The printers are connected to the Homeserver via USB and shared with all the devices including the iOS devices. Have also installed an application on the HomeServer which allows me to print to the printers via email. The HomeServer also does the job of sharing all my movies - HD included - to the TV and XBOX 360 and the Mac / Laptops and all iOS devices via DLNA clients which also take care of non-standard codecs.The Wii is connected to an old TV and accesses the video content via wifi from my Home Server.

The Sling box allows me to watch my satellite tv on connected devices including iOS devices.

Have tried tinkering the iPads (almost) to an extent where they can substitute the PC / Mac. A combination of various free cloud offerings has made it possible to latch on to about 200gig of online storage making all the interconnected devices sync without issues.

Have been thinking of home automation as the next step (X10?), but haven't found time to do it.

The Windows Mobile handsets? Have configured one as a Wifi weather station and a couple for streaming audio stations / online radio connected to old audio gear and a couple as dedicated VoIP phones.

Would welcome ideas to do some more or try out some more.

P.S. Forgot to mention the Windows Mobile handsets also perform the task of Wifi security cameras when required streaming the video to the Home Server and subsequently to my Mac / PC / iOS devices for remote monitoring of my home when away. :)

Last edited:
Welcome!!!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)