What's new

Hello Everyone and help!

AMIESAUNT

Reaction score
I just joined today. I've got a new iPhone 6 and my iPhone 5 has me ready to tear out my hair. Apple notified me that I had to change my Apple ID from AOL to something else before March 30. So I changed it to a Hotmail account on both the 5 and 6.

Now I want to wipe the iPhone 5 and sell it but when I go to Settings-General-Reset it asks me for my 4-digit passcode and then for my password under the old AOL ID. The ''iTunes & App Store'' in Settings does show the new Hotmail address, so why is it asking me for the AOL password instead of the Hotmail password in order to reset? Thank you!!

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Amiesaunt!

If you used the old Apple ID for your iCloud account as well, it's still stored on your device and used for backups and "Find my iPhone". That's also the reason why it's asking for the password of the AOL ID.

You have to take care of this first (remove the iCloud account), before you're able to wipe the iPhone.

Thank you and I understand what you're telling me but I can't remove the iCloud account because it wants the password for the AOL ID.

If you remember the password, go to Settings - iCloud, scroll down and sign out.

If you don't remember the password, but the ID still exists somewhere, use this link to reset the password, to be able to sign out of your iCloud account:
Apple - My Apple ID

If the ID doesn't exist any more, because it was exchanged for the Hotmail account, you'll need to change it back again to sign out of your iCloud ID. You'll be able to revert to the Hotmail account afterwards.

Hello and Welcome to our forum!

We hope you can find a lot of help here and enjoy the forums as well.

Please read the forum rules (link in my signature for your convenience) and remember that the search function is always your best friend.

Best of luck,

If you remember the password, go to Settings - iCloud, scroll down and sign out.

If you don't remember the password, but the ID still exists somewhere, use this link to reset the password, to be able to sign out of your iCloud account:
Apple - My Apple ID

If the ID doesn't exist any more, because it was exchanged for the Hotmail account, you'll need to change it back again to sign out of your iCloud ID. You'll be able to revert to the Hotmail account afterwards.

Apple - My Apple ID

Thank you and I understand what you're telling me but I can't remove the iCloud account because it wants the password for the AOL ID.

I tried your suggestion but it won't accept the password for the AOL ID. I then tried 'I Forgot' but it wants my date of birth to verify first and then said it's wrong. I signed in to Apple with the Hotmail ID and checked what was there and the DOB is correct. Is there any other way around this?

I tried your suggestion but it won't accept the password for the AOL ID. I then tried 'I Forgot' but it wants my date of birth to verify first and then said it's wrong. I signed in to Apple with the Hotmail ID and checked what was there and the DOB is correct. Is there any other way around this?

I'd call Apple and explain your situation, maybe they can help.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I'd call Apple and explain your situation, maybe they can help.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
Thank you for trying to help. We're going to drive down to the Apple store and see if they can help.

Maybe you'll have to prove that you're the owner, so of take the billing/invoice with you when you visit the store.

Maybe you'll have to prove that you're the owner, so of take the billing/invoice with you when you visit the store.

Thanks for the tip - I just dug it up and put it in my bag.

You're welcome.

Thought I would follow up with you, since you tried so hard to help me. You will find this interesting. I did drive down to the Apple store and they determined that my AOL ID no longer existed, even though it was showing up for me to sign in to iCloud. So they brought up the iCloud sign-in window, showing the AOL ID and told me to sign in with my Hotmail password. And by heaven, it worked! Problem solved.

Thanks for updating us, good to hear you got your problem solved.

It's always nice when we hear about the success stories. Thanks for letting us know, it could help others with the same problem.