What's new

Headphone Jack on 4S

kdlp

Reaction score
Is the headphone jack on the iPhone 4s larger than the 3? When I try and plug in a microphone coupler the male jack is sloppy and won't make contact with the iPhone 4s contacts. When I plug that coupler into a iPhone 3 is snugs in there correctly. I thought they were all 3.5 mm plugs...is the iPhone 4s different?

Thanks for any info....

kdlp

Are you sure you're pushing it in all the way? On the 4S it feels like you've pushed it in all the way but it actually takes an extra little shove to seat completely.

Yes, the bottom of the plug is bottoming out on the case... BTW the unit I'm using is the Tascam IXZ, just in case that may matter...

kdlp

Is it bottoming out on a case or on the phone itself. My wife has an otter box case and the plug that goes to our receiver will not fit snug. If you have a case on the ip4 or ip4s it may keep the plug from going all the way into the phone.

Took me a day or two to find the time to play with this... but here's what happened to get everything working properly. I noticed that my headphone jack would seat properly and "click" into place. The Tascam unit would bottom out but not "click" into place... as though the jack was slightly longer or narrower than standard. Yet by visual inspection, they looked exactly the same. The Tascam tip on the jack may have been slightly more pointed. That started me to thinking that there might be something inside the phone that was preventing the tip from locking in and I thought (for about 15 seconds) about taking the phone apart.... instead (option B), I happened to have a can of pressurized air (the kind you might use to blow the dust out of your keyboard). I shot the air down the headphone jack and (tada!) that's all it took. Apparently there must have been something at the bottom of the phone's jack that moved just enough after a blast of air. In any case, the Tascam jack seats properly and if you'd like to conduct interviews with a handheld microphone (recording) the Tascam is a great (and inexpensive) tool. I'm using a Shure SM 58s feeding into the Tascam iXZ into my iPhone 4S and the fidelity is much improved over the iPhone mike (and I must admit the iPhone mike is far better than most).

Anyway, the situation is resolved and thanks for the suggestions!

kdlp

kdlp said:
Took me a day or two to find the time to play with this... but here's what happened to get everything working properly. I noticed that my headphone jack would seat properly and "click" into place. The Tascam unit would bottom out but not "click" into place... as though the jack was slightly longer or narrower than standard. Yet by visual inspection, they looked exactly the same. The Tascam tip on the jack may have been slightly more pointed. That started me to thinking that there might be something inside the phone that was preventing the tip from locking in and I thought (for about 15 seconds) about taking the phone apart.... instead (option B), I happened to have a can of pressurized air (the kind you might use to blow the dust out of your keyboard). I shot the air down the headphone jack and (tada!) that's all it took. Apparently there must have been something at the bottom of the phone's jack that moved just enough after a blast of air. In any case, the Tascam jack seats properly and if you'd like to conduct interviews with a handheld microphone (recording) the Tascam is a great (and inexpensive) tool. I'm using a Shure SM 58s feeding into the Tascam iXZ into my iPhone 4S and the fidelity is much improved over the iPhone mike (and I must admit the iPhone mike is far better than most).

Anyway, the situation is resolved and thanks for the suggestions!

kdlp

Good thinking on the pressurized air. Way to think outside the box. ;) Glad you were able to get it working.