What's new

Have I made a big mistake getting the iPhone X?

applexman

Reaction score
A week with the X.

I bought the Phone X and gave my 7 Plus to my eldest daughter, this morning she was showing me something on it and boy do I miss that lovely big screen. As mentioned in a previous post I am having terrible trouble reading in portrait mode on the skinny X, I have to turn it to landscape and zoom in, an age thing when your eyes are past 4K mode :). What I don’t miss is the strain on my thumb moving around all of the 7 plus real estate, but how I wish the X had the same size viewable screen.

It is all about compromise, but having all these jazzy features and not being able to see them clearly and comfortably is a concern, anyway my daughter has assured me anytime I want to switch phones with her she will do the swap. Maybe it’s better to look forward, wish I hadn’t held my beautiful 7 plus this morning, stuff OLED (only great if you have OLED compatible eyes!) it’s size that matters especially width! Long and thin is not doing it for me I’m afraid :-(

Anyone else got feelings they wish to share? I certainly don’t feel that after having a fling with the X there is no going back :)

iPhone X is definatly better, there is always a period of little uncerainity when starting something new.
You will start liking it give sometime.

Am I missing something here? Am I misunderstanding your post?
The X has a 5.8" screen and the the 7 Plus has 5.5" so the X has the bigger screen.

iPhone X is definatly better, there is always a period of little uncerainity when starting something new.
You will start liking it give sometime.
There is no uncertainty as far as everything to do with the phone goes APART from the screen. The iPhone X is so narrow that when I zoom in I am constantly moving the text to keep it in the screen area which for some reason makes the reading experience difficult and annoying, as I said my only option is to go into landscape mode so I can make sense of sentences but then I am only able to see a few lines above and below so hard to refer back to things.

The plus side is it's easier to put in my pocket and less strain on my ageing thumb joints, I only started the thread out of total honesty when I picked up the 7 plus to do something this morning, it was like a huge weight off me trying to love the iPhone X had been taken off my shoulders, odd I know as I am not some namby pamby snowflake :) Anyway my iPhone 7 plus is as new and only a month old so I have the option to swap with my daughter, I just don't want her to be going to school in London with a ÂŁ1,149 phone and here is my justifcation why!

London is like the wild west now with motorcyclists going up on pavements and snatching phones from people, also attacking drivers in cars and stealing watches, the latest craze is acid attacks on people by spraying acid in their faces from squeezy bottles, oh and doing raids on coffee shops by pulling up outside on motorbikes rushing in and stealong laptops off customers then making off.

This is not London as it was, it is a lawless society now with very few police and criminals doing what they want with little chance of being caught, the police don't bother any more with burglaries, they tell you to sort it out yourself once they have made 10 seconds of enquiries if you are lucky, mostly they never turn up!! OK rant over, my home totally covered by CCTV, CCTV in cars, and phone with camera in hand, just wish we could have guns like the Americans I would most certainly have the most powerful one I could and would not hesitate to use it!

LONDON
Crime in London not being investigated: Burglary: now police give up | Daily Mail Online

Acid attacks: Torture in a bottle: London's acid attack problem - CNN

Motorcycle phone thefts: Moped gang ride through central London grabbing people’s mobile phones | Metro News

Motorcycle coffee shop computer robberies: Laptop snatched from cafe

UPDATE - MORE of these vermin today (Sunday) trying to steal a motorbike, no police in sight but lorry driver saves the bike and blocks the thieves in: Lorry driver foils hammer-wielding moped thieves | Daily Mail Online

AND TODAY - APPLE SHOP ATTACKED and X PHONES STOLEN!!
Apple’s Regent Street store broken into by moped raiders | Daily Mail Online

AND NOW THE LASTEST JOKE
If you have valuable things stolen then that's your fault we aren't investigating!
Police 'may be forced to stop attending vehicle crime' | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
These images may help you understand how the new screen on the X is in fact SMALLER than the iPhone 7 Plus, the claimed biggest ever 5.8" screen on the X includes the messy pointless horns which cannot be classed as usable screen as the big notch obliterates anything that area, NEVER MIND the rounded corners. All playing with words and who's got the biggest, when in truth sometimes big isn't always beautiful OR useful :)

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    651 KB · Views: 746
  • fullsizeoutput_4f3f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4f3f.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:
I'm getting more and more sure I made the the right choice with 8 Plus.

I wonder how many more people are now getting buyers remorse?

If you have a 7 Plus pointless going for 8 Plus hence my move to X, we have a system where I get a new phone each year, older daughter gets mine, younger daugter gets hers and grandma gets the younger daughters so all benefit. BUT this is the FIRST time EVER I have had doubts, and the doubt is ONLY with the screen but unfortunately as you get older (I'm retired) size does matter, I am only a 1.5 with reading glasses but it does have a BIG impact on the smaller X screen, I just wish I had a phone the size of the viewable 7 Plus screen which was perfect, although the surrounding area made it a bit too big. Plus I am not a fan of the rounded corners, the 7 Plus looks sharp and ready for business.

When I watched the launch I was put off by the childish antics of monsters and games, I am way past that but put it down to letting the younger generation have 'their time' I have had mine, but it was only when my reminder alarm went notifying me the phones were going on sale the following day I thought sod it I will get one, I didn't want to disappoint the rest of the recycling chain that relied on me getting one, so ordered one. I was given a delivery date of the 13th - 17th Nov but a national store started taking orders on the 3rd for next delivery and I bought one from them and that is the one I have been using, anyway I had my Apple one delivered early on Friday 10th just gone so now have 2 of the things, the iPhone X 256GB in silver :)

Go to go, I have to feed and play with the AR monster :) :)

Well that article just put me back on the fence... I’ve been saying I’m going to get an X as soon as I can BUT... idk now...[emoji848]
Funny thing is I had never seen that article and it is exactly how I feel, I thought the launch was awful and childish and decided there and then it wasn't for me, but then gave in to help others who would benefit from my cast offs, I have a saying I should have stuck to "if in doubt leave it out".

It is a great phone, quick as hell, face ID works a treat but if you don't enjoy the experience of viewing it what is the point, I actually like the 7 Plus screen better, I find the X dark but maybe that is just my old eyes :)

Good luck with whatever you choose, but use my feedback in your analysis together with as many other reviews as you can to come to a fair and proper conclusion, its quite an expensive bit of kit to get wrong.

I am also wondering what the take up has been, seems few people on this forum have them, and with my Apple order coming ahead of schedule maybe they have more stock than they would like, maybe they will discount them for Black Friday :)

Im not in the fence at all ..taller and narrower is the new trend ..Samsung phones..my Pixel XL ..even if less content on landscape it's more than enough for average usage.. I'm happy they moved design..choices are good though...S8 plus is a solid device..

First, Applexman thanks for posting this and being honest.

What you point out are real world usage and needs. Now I'll admit when I first saw the pictures of the phones side by side I was trying to figure out what the complaint was about as I was just glued to the length. But after I shifted my focus to the width I truly understood. And right now with everyone seemingly loving the new iPhone X because it's newer and is Apple changing up to go in a different direction more competitive with the other phones on the market, people may feel like how could you not like it.

But to me that's the beauty of tech and competition in that there is something for everyone. And I could see how having that screen width being very important for some and more important than having face ID and animojis.

I say look at what you mainly use your phone for. If you can care less about face unlock and animojis as you rarely use them, then yeah go with with the 7+ or 8+. Plus I'm sure with all the people waiting for an iPhone X that you could get that sold and use it to either buy a 7+ or 8+.

Droidprincess, I would suggest doing like was suggested to the 2xl people who were on the verge of cancelling their orders because of the screen controversy. If you already pre-ordered then wait for it and use it yourself for a few weeks. You may end up liking it and not caring about the thinner screen. But if you end up not liking it you will not have a hard time getting it sold.

First, Applexman thanks for posting this and being honest.

What you point out are real world usage and needs. Now I'll admit when I first saw the pictures of the phones side by side I was trying to figure out what the complaint was about as I was just glued to the length. But after I shifted my focus to the width I truly understood. And right now with everyone seemingly loving the new iPhone X because it's newer and is Apple changing up to go in a different direction more competitive with the other phones on the market, people may feel like how could you not like it.

But to me that's the beauty of tech and competition in that there is something for everyone. And I could see how having that screen width being very important for some and more important than having face ID and animojis.

I say look at what you mainly use your phone for. If you can care less about face unlock and animojis as you rarely use them, then yeah go with with the 7+ or 8+. Plus I'm sure with all the people waiting for an iPhone X that you could get that sold and use it to either buy a 7+ or 8+.

Droidprincess, I would suggest doing like was suggested to the 2xl people who were on the verge of cancelling their orders because of the screen controversy. If you already pre-ordered then wait for it and use it yourself for a few weeks. You may end up liking it and not caring about the thinner screen. But if you end up not liking it you will not have a hard time getting it sold.
I am fortunate in so much as my iPhone 7 Plus shows the Apple death sign last month, Apple could not repair it and as it was under guarantee, less than 1yr old, they gave me a brand new one, this is the phone my daughter inherited last week when I got the X. My daughter is more than happy to have the X and give me my 7 plus back, I’m just concerned about a 16yr old in London with a $1,500 phone because that is what the X 256GB costs here, mind you the 7 plus is still an expensive phone but maybe less desirable to the vermin who are robbing people every day.

I may get used to the screen but my eyes are not getting any younger, having been used to handling something huge and wide it’s a pleasure to have something longer and thinner, it certainly fits in my palm better and much easier for stroking my fingers over as I was getting pains in my thumb joint with the size of the the 7 Plus.

I’m retired so have time to sit at home in the day and have a play. My initial disappointment was in the way Apple sold the phone, most people think big is better, but they have been a bit economical with bragging about size, it’s not all it’s made out to be as you will see by my photos, and as for claiming the notch as part of the size as the screen measure my must just miss that, and edge to edge screen, well that is a total joke and a lie IMHO.

Still a great fast smooth phone, just wish they had been honest, but then nobody forced me to give them $3,000 plus cash! (as I now have 2 of the bloody things), and my first instinct when I saw it was no way, but then the must have the latest gadget kicked in so the kids get an upgrade and here we are with skinny phones and soon to be skinny myself with no food :)

I am fortunate in so much as my iPhone 7 Plus shows the Apple death sign last month, Apple could not repair it and as it was under guarantee, less than 1yr old, they gave me a brand new one, this is the phone my daughter inherited last week when I got the X. My daughter is more than happy to have the X and give me my 7 plus back, I’m just concerned about a 16yr old in London with a $1,500 phone because that is what the X 256GB costs here, mind you the 7 plus is still an expensive phone but maybe less desirable to the vermin who are robbing people every day.

I may get used to the screen but my eyes are not getting any younger, having been used to handling something huge and wide it’s a pleasure to have something longer and thinner, it certainly fits in my palm better and much easier for stroking my fingers over as I was getting pains in my thumb joint with the size of the the 7 Plus.

I’m retired so have time to sit at home in the day and have a play. My initial disappointment was in the way Apple sold the phone, most people think big is better, but they have been a bit economical with bragging about size, it’s not all it’s made out to be as you will see by my photos, and as for claiming the notch as part of the size as the screen measure my must just miss that, and edge to edge screen, well that is a total joke and a lie IMHO.

Still a great fast smooth phone, just wish they had been honest, but then nobody forced me to give them $3,000 plus cash! (as I now have 2 of the bloody things), and my first instinct when I saw it was no way, but then the must have the latest gadget kicked in so the kids get an upgrade and here we are with skinny phones and soon to be skinny myself with no food :)
If you're concerned with your daughter having an expensive smart phone and she is satisfied with the 7+ then let her keep the 7+ and you sell the X. That will solve the problem for both scenarios.

I can't speak for the crimes in London as I'm living in the States. But I know that just having an iPhone opens you up to crime, though obviously the newest one will me the most attractive to them. With phones having the kill switch it should be useless if stolen.

Do you guys have a lost and stolen protection purchase offer there in London?

Reactions: 933