What's new

Happy Birthday to the World Wide Web

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
The video contained within the OP states that lee developed this is 1980.

So maybe the world wide web is actually 39 years old.

In the 80's it was totally different. Showing my age here, but back in the 80's you had to connect directly to a host computer. My mom worked at a computer chip manufacturing plant in the 80's, so we got employee discounts on computers, and my dad was taking advantage of that, and bought every new computer as they came out, and then I got the outgoing one, so I was pretty heavy into computers in the 80's, albeit always one generation behind. My grade school apparently noticed and they sent me to a lot of special computer classes, then in HS I was taking more computer classes off campus. Anyways, I was online a lot in the 80's and it was cool, but nothing like the what the internet became in the 90's.

I think the World Wide Web existed way before 1989. It was not anything like it is now but it was there.

I imagine that many now see the internet and the www as the same thing. I recall reading on a bulletin board called CIX and in the online newsfeed, Tidbits, by Adam Engst of this phenomenon we should have a look at: it will change the future! At the time I used to log in at 75/1200 baud, if I remember correctly. Once I moved to a 9600 baud modem I used Netscape 1 and marvelled at seeing live video of people walking across a small park/ garden in Paris on my Mac Plus, amongst other things.

If I recall correctly, it was designed by 6,7 men at DARPA, as a new way of communicating for the military.
And I think the first transmission was 'hello'.

I did a brief search.....but I was overwhelmed with the search results and none of them were the same.......lol

This was a part of our lives 20 years ago and now, young kids have no idea what it represents.
Why, they don't even know how to use a dial phone or VHS tape deck.........lol

If I recall correctly, it was designed by 6,7 men at DARPA, as a new way of communicating for the military.
And I think the first transmission was 'hello'.

I did a brief search.....but I was overwhelmed with the search results and none of them were the same.......lol
That was the internet, which is not the same as the World Wide Web. The World Wide Web is a means for computers to communicate with each other over the internet.