What's new

guide : how to downgrade iphone / ipod touch from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1

Edvin94

Reaction score
Hey, as you might know, Apple have just recently added the new patch 4.0.2 which disables jailbreaking.. So if anyone have accidentaly upgraded to 4.0.2, here is what u have to do to downgrade to 4.0.1 again..

So first of all you have to go to this page and download the version that is suitable for your version..

iOS 4.0.1 IPSW Download Sources - Get your latest iOS updates from Apple - Softpedia
Then you place it on your desktop.

Afterwards go into Itunes and make sure your device is connected. Then you go to your devices Info and shift-click the restore button. What this allows you to do is to chose what version you want to restore to. Be sure that you have updated our itunes before you do this.

Finally find the patch file that you downloaded from the link above and chose it. Your Iphone will restore with 4.0.1 software.

Be sure to create a safety copy of your device before doing this. In that way you can easily get back your contacts and apps afterwards.

PM me for any Questions. I will be happy to get some feedback if this worked for u as well...

Last edited:
doesent matter 4.0.2 will be jailbroken before long. plus its pretty hard to do it by accident:/

i upgraded and dont want to downgrade. screw the jailbreak lol

well this is basically for the ones who have some problems and have to restore it.. Then Itunes will update it no matter what.. And for me, who lives in Norway, with a phone locked to AT&T in USA, I had to jailbreak and unlock it to use it..

Hey, as you might know, Apple have just recently added the new patch 4.0.2 which disables jailbreaking.. So if anyone have accidentaly upgraded to 4.0.2, here is what u have to do to downgrade to 4.0.1 again..

So first of all you have to go to this page and download the version that is suitable for your version..

iOS 4.0.1 IPSW Download Sources - Get your latest iOS updates from Apple - Softpedia
Then you place it on your desktop.

Afterwards go into Itunes and make sure your device is connected. Then you go to your devices Info and shift-click the restore button. What this allows you to do is to chose what version you want to restore to. Be sure that you have updated our itunes before you do this.

Finally find the patch file that you downloaded from the link above and chose it. Your Iphone will restore with 4.0.1 software.

Be sure to create a safety copy of your device before doing this. In that way you can easily get back your contacts and apps afterwards.

PM me for any Questions. I will be happy to get some feedback if this worked for u as well...

hi,

before i Shift + Click on the "Restore" button in itunes, do i need to have TinyUmbrella on with TSS server on? I have my SHSH saved on Cydia server. if you can post a detailed step by step direction, it would be helpful. thank you.

well this is basically for the ones who have some problems and have to restore it.. Then Itunes will update it no matter what.. And for me, who lives in Norway, with a phone locked to AT&T in USA, I had to jailbreak and unlock it to use it..

indeed it is. but that was your mistake right there. buying it locked if you dont plan to use it with that carrier. just causes a lot of hassle for you with needing yellow snow every firmware update and having to hold off updating.. it sucks

Ok I've done what I think you've said only to still be on 4.0.2 where do I get to choose which software? Don't mind paliometoxo something is a hassle if you think it is..... I am willing to do whatever it takes everythime to be able to use my device at it's maximum potential.

I've been trying to figure out how to get back to 4.0.1 because I did not want to update it happened automatically. Thanks for your help.

John T. Snelson V

Ok I've done what I think you've said only to still be on 4.0.2 where do I get to choose which software? Don't mind paliometoxo something is a hassle if you think it is..... I am willing to do whatever it takes everythime to be able to use my device at it's maximum potential.

I've been trying to figure out how to get back to 4.0.1 because I did not want to update it happened automatically. Thanks for your help.

John T. Snelson V

sure but by the time you downgrade there wil be a jb for 4.0.2... imo your better off waiting for the 4.0.2 jailbreak, you cant downgrade baseband so the damage is done (if there is a bb upgrade). the jb is good but not enough to make it worth downgrading for it. 4.0.2 is already jailbroken anw its just a matter of waiting for a tool

plus the update is not automatic you have to accept and agree to terms its pretty hard to do it by accident ;)

but the jailbreak is amazing. your all acting like there will never be a 4.0.2 jailbreak... patients guys

Last edited:
I was the same way with my first jailbreak experience. As we know the jailbreak novelty wears off after a few months.

I was the same way with my first jailbreak experience. As we know the jailbreak novelty wears off after a few months.

i was the same for a few years, i wouldent downgrade to jailbreak though lol never. but then again it never took more then a week to get it

you need to use libsyb.dll and irestore to be able to use this.. Also u need to have your SHSH saved on Cydia.. I will make some addition to the guide soon. This was just some quick stuff I did befor I went to my cottage..

but like palitmo sais, it is probably better to wait for new jailbreak comes out.. if you dont have to jailbreak straight away.

I'm deciding to agree with each side. I'm a power user with a 32GB I have over 13,500 emails, 8000 pic's, 1350 apps installed, 1900 notes, numerous books etc.... This is my 3rd iPhone 4 and I keep telling then they have software issues because they say they never intended anyone to have so many things on their phone. I'm experiencing the same software issues with limited items on phone now and will wait until after genius bar appt to see what is going on.

As far as: plus the update is not automatic you have to accept and agree to terms its pretty hard to do it by accident ;) I think apple has been causing the updates to happen automatically because I've got 5 friends that all experienced the automatic update without anyone of us telling it to update a little coincidental I don't think so and all of us are in our 40-50's knowing one thing or another about these phones.

I'm going to wait for the new jailbreak.

John T. Snelson V