What's new

google maps will kill your battery

Voidchaser

Reaction score
So i got google maps last night for iphone 4 and used it to today to get me to where my mom lives now than take us to the church for my fathers funeral; than the cemetary which was close by but still just precautionary.
The app works GREAT, better than Waze for me with the probably only annoying feature is that when I push the home button to turn the screen on (instead with Waze if you pick the phone up the screen comes on without having to unlock it) instead of hitting the power button at the top, that it mutes navigation so I have to hurriedly push the volume up button on the side while tryin to drive--I really should get a dock but my old Civic is built too awkard that I could only really put one on the dash or some vent clip-on thingy.
Anyway I had the phone charged to about 95% before I left the house and didn't turn gps on until I was 30mins from my moms place (where I needed navigation on the beltway) the app was open but not running. Now I know this isn't safe but I was trying to avoid exactly what happened which was on the way home after burying my dad, the phone was in the car during not only the service but afterwards, and I had 10% by the time I got back on the main highway. It finally died after I crossed the bay bridge and I find this app is an incredible drain on the battery.
I stopped navigation when I reached or near my destination and closed the app--tap home twice than close with the minus sign (which is also a pita sometimes but I'm too lazy to JB the phone).
I kind of wish iphone had a toggle switch for gps like my android did, so I can just only turn it on when I'm using navigation, but so many apps require this for none-too-sincere reasons.
So great app but bring a charger; I wasn't even doing any social networking and only sent two text messages the entire day.

Wondering if anyone else was having issue with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
GPS is the biggest battery killer there is, in my experience. I use GPS extensively on my iPad, and even keeping it on charge, I find that the charger only just keeps up with the battery draw. The iPhone stands no chance with its much smaller battery.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Sorry about your loss. Hope the funeral went well though.

About your battery issue, wow, that's some drastic battery drainage. I haven't used google maps actually but have it dled. Although other gps aps i've used (waze, apple maps) battery on my phone actually never drained from full to nearly dead that much. That sounds pretty crazy though.

Definatly a battery killer. I have the i5 and use a pioneer radio usb to charge the phone while in my truck. When running the gps app (waze or google) the charger can't keep up with the draw.

Wow that's crazy. I have used apple maps for a 130 mile trip before and used the standard cable with some cheap eBay USB lighter charger and never had battery drain problem. It would stay at 100 percent the whole trip and I was using both apple maps nav and spotify radio stream.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk