What's new

Google Maps is now available in the App Store

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$blog_post.jpg

With the launch of its latest handset, the iPhone 5, and its brand new operating system – iOS 6, Apple decided to axe Google Maps from its embedded functionalities and replace it with a map app of its own. Nevertheless, this week, the Google Maps application seems to have made a comeback, taking the form of a third party app available on iTunes. The app re-emerged after 3 months, since Apple launched its own native software.

The Google team announced that the app will also be made available in the Apple App Store in more than 40 countries worldwide. The software has been enhanced to include a few useful tweaks like voice-activation or turn-by-turn direction. Google Maps for mobile director Daniel Graf commented on the application:

"The world around us is constantly changing and, thanks to feedback from you, we make tens of thousands of daily updates to keep Google Maps accurate and comprehensive."

Apple, however, caused quite a bit of a maelstrom after releasing its own map app as users complained about the quality of the maps. Apple CEO Tim Cook made a public apology and assured the fans that the company will take steps to remedy the situation as soon as possible. Also, competition in the map app department might be getting tougher by the day, since the Finnish company – Nokia, just released a free map app of their own. It will be interesting to monitor how the public is going to receive this new application.

Source: Google Blog

will be interested to see what members think.

I guess no one has to worry about getting lost in the Australia outback anymore.

Can say this much so far. I like Google Maps on iOS more than on Android now.

Installed it about 10 minutes after it was released. Started comparing it to my Android version after getting used to the interface. iOS version is snappier and has a cleaner look and feel. Google really did a good job. Enough so that I won't be using Apple Maps any time soon.

Installed it about 10 minutes after it was released. Started comparing it to my Android version after getting used to the interface. iOS version is snappier and has a cleaner look and feel. Google really did a good job. Enough so that I won't be using Apple Maps any time soon.
i like it :)

I am going to try it out and see how it is just out of curiosity, saturday when I go to work

My only complaint is that it does not access the iOS contacts. Otherwise...welldone!!

To be real frank, the only thing I like about it is the 3D effects :D JK, I do like the newer look to it though. Very clean and crispy. As for directions, I haven't tried it in terms of long distance yet, but will try when I drive for the holidays. Too bad the stock Map.app isn't as beautiful :/

I like on google maps it uses a woman's voice where as apple maps makes me use the uk mans voice and I hate it.. That wld be my only reason for using google maps over the apple ones

My only complaint is that it does not access the iOS contacts. Otherwise...welldone!!

I noticed that too. Going through the contacts it wants to use the Apple Map. Anyone know it this can be changed. I know there is a suggestions place in the Google Map somewhere. I can't see Apple letting Google reach into the Apple Contact app though.