What's new

Good ways to mount iPhone 6 in your car?

DrumsOfGrohl

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something to hold my iPhone 6 (4.7") in my car. I don't like keeping it in my pocket while I'm driving, especially when I'm wearing jeans. This would be my bare minimum.
Now, something that could charge it at the same time would be preferable, and then to top it off, one that could FM transmit it to my radio (my car doesn't have an aux port or tape deck, so that's the only way I can use my iPhone's music).
Anyone have any suggestions, or reviews on one's they've used?

Well, this doesn't charge or plug into the phone in anyway, but I've very pleased with the one that Apple's website sells that slides on your vent, only it's a lot cheaper on Amazon.

If you're interested, do a search on your favorite online shopping site for Kenu Airframe Portable Car Vent Mount. I'd recommend it.

Last edited:
Search for 'iphone FM transmitter' on Amazon and you'll find some.

For mounts, I am a fan of those that stick out from the cd slot in your radio. This of course takes away from your ability to use the CD player and depending on your car may cover up some radio buttons so its success varies from car to car. I prefer this type over the vent mount which too can vary from car to car depending on the thickness of the vent fins and distance between fins.

Not sure I can post a direct URL to an outside site, so just go to Amazon and search "iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount" .. Fits the 6+ with no issues.

Search for 'iphone FM transmitter' on Amazon and you'll find some.

For mounts, I am a fan of those that stick out from the cd slot in your radio. This of course takes away from your ability to use the CD player and depending on your car may cover up some radio buttons so its success varies from car to car. I prefer this type over the vent mount which too can vary from car to car depending on the thickness of the vent fins and distance between fins.

Some vibration issues too. On the vent mount

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some vibration issues too. On the vent mount

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely! In my Nissan Maxima which has vertical oriented vents, the mount would start dropping on road trips because the fit was not snug and due to the fin orientation it can easily move in the downward direction.

In my wife's Honda Pilot which has horizontal vents, I thought it would fit better due to fin orientation but it actually didn't work at all. It's not usable in the 2013 Honda Pilot due to fin thinkness and spacing.

Not sure I can post a direct URL to an outside site, so just go to Amazon and search "iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount" .. Fits the 6+ with no issues.
This one looks pretty good. I might try this, if I cant find one with the other features.

I have an Iottie love it [emoji173]️

(It's not an Iottie it's something else I thought it was but car was totaled just realized)

Last edited:
I have an Iottie love it [emoji173]️
oh wow, just checked that one out. it looks great for my car.

Here's a super random question: I play drums, and would love to be able to mount my iPhone on it during gigs. You think that iOttie would work? It would need to withstand constant vibration (from me hitting the drums)

Okay, I have done all 3 things you are asking about, but have used 3 devices to do all this.

The iOttie mount that has already been suggested is what I use. LOVE IT. Much better than the ones that go in a vent and block the air flow. Also gets your iPhone closer to you and up higher where you don't divert your eyes from the road as much!

Second, get the Apple car charger. Don't waste money on a third-party car charger! You can very easily charge your phone while it is in the iOttie holder.

Third, get a Tranzit BLU Bluetooth transmitter. It attaches to the back of your radio. Get their app and you can set the FM radio frequency that you want to use. Set the station, turn on your music, podcast or anything else on your iPhone and enjoy the sound through your radio speakers.

This is the system I use to do exactly what you have requested. Works quite well.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Okay, I have done all 3 things you are asking about, but have used 3 devices to do all this.

The iOttie mount that has already been suggested is what I use. LOVE IT. Much better than the ones that go in a vent and block the air flow. Also gets your iPhone closer to you and up higher where you don't divert your eyes from the road as much!

Second, get the Apple car charger. Don't waste money on a third-party car charger! You can very easily charge your phone while it is in the iOttie holder.

Third, get a Tranzit BLU Bluetooth transmitter. It attaches to the back of your radio. Get their app and you can set the FM radio frequency that you want to use. Set the station, turn on your music, podcast or anything else on your iPhone and enjoy the sound through your radio speakers.

This is the system I use to do exactly what you have requested. Works quite well.

Sent using Tapatalk HD
Thanks, Nobite, I can't get the bluetooth transmitter because I still have my standard stereo unit in my car. If I buy a new stereo unit (which seems like the likely choice), I'll probably buy one with an aux port, which would solve the problem without the need for bluetooth.

The iOttie looks great.

@Dogboy53, those are a little pricey. Why are they so expensive?

Thanks, Nobite, I can't get the bluetooth transmitter because I still have my standard stereo unit in my car. em without the need for bluetooth.

But, that is the beauty of the Tranzit BLU! You CAN get it for your stock radio. That is exactly what I did for my 2006 Honda Pilot.

I had mine installed at Best Buy. They did an awesome job for a reasonable price.

I have been using the grip go mounts, they hold pretty good. But it becomes kinda hard detaching the phone from the mount because it sticks hard