What's new

Going overseas....

Chief_Airborne

Reaction score
So, I'm to Ireland in the near future. I'm currently with Verizon. I want to be able to use my phone over there, but not through Verizon. I assume that I can pick up a prepaid SIM card over there, but will my X accept it? Do I have to get my phone unlocked or something?

Thanks!

Depends on which iPhone you have. As a rule Verizon iPhones (at least older ones) aren't compatible with most international carriers

We went to ireland last summer. You will love it. Any LTE phone from Verizon after 2015 is unlocked. I have an iPhone 7plus. Keep your phone in airplane mode until you get to the vodaphone store or you will get charged $10 for the day from Verizon.
But a vodaphone SIM card was under 25 euros and in 2 weeks we didn’t manage to use it all up. Had signal 98% of the time. My phone was also the main gps.

We went to ireland last summer. You will love it. Any LTE phone from Verizon after 2015 is unlocked. I have an iPhone 7plus. Keep your phone in airplane mode until you get to the vodaphone store or you will get charged $10 for the day from Verizon.
But a vodaphone SIM card was under 25 euros and in 2 weeks we didn’t manage to use it all up. Had signal 98% of the time. My phone was also the main gps.

Perfect...thank you so much!! Greatly appreciate it.

Perfect...thank you so much!! Greatly appreciate it.

Of course by doing this you will have a new Irish phone number.
You also have to dial (001) I believe to call the us. Make sure your credit card don’t charge fees for international transactions.

Of course by doing this you will have a new Irish phone number.
You also have to dial (001) I believe to call the us. Make sure your credit card don’t charge fees for international transactions.
They will, at the very least, charge a fee for currency exchange when using your credit card overseas.

Not if you get an international card. You get the best exchange rate like we did.