What's new

GMAIL Problem

Ruskin1182

Reaction score
Hello,

I set up my gmail on my iphone 4, 4.2.1 using the exchange server.

All seemed well, at little slow at times receiving the information. But today the emails weren't coming through (even though they were on my blackberry).

I deleted the account, and reinstalled it, showed the new emails in my box. But now, its the same problem. Nothing coming through.

Any ideas???

Thanks

I'm curious why you used the Exchange server. Perhaps I'm wrong but I do not believe Gmail will function with Exchange. Here is a link that may help iPhone - Gmail Help let us know if this resolves your issue.
Mike

I read somewhere that using the exchange helped it to work with the push functionality. I'll try the way you gave me and report back.

Thanks

IMAP has push as well so hopefully that will resolve your issue

Thanks for the clarification, Craig. Did not realize the Exchange setting would work with Gmail. I always used the Gmail tab.

Mike

No worries at all... I 'think' the Gmail tab uses Pull, which means the app goes and and checks the server at the interval specified. The exchange way the server pushes, so you'll be getting real time email.

:)

Hey Craig,

I tried it with the exchange and the push stopped working.

Going through the gmail tab doesn't give me the real time access I was hoping for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help guys

Is it pushing to the blackberry as well?

Have you tried disabling the push to the blackberry just to see if it works then?

I followed that link I put on here before and I've never had a problem with it. I will get the email showing up on my iphone within a few seconds of pressing send on my PC.

I'll try disabling the blackberry to see if it works, I'll report back tomorrow

Hey Ruskin, I was thinking... even though it isn't popping up saying you have unread email on your iphone, are the mails actually there when you open it? There in the 'read' state just not showing unread?

Craig,

The messages just wouldn't show up. When I went in it would say updating but wouldn't even pull the messaged from gmail.

Couldn't test it today as I was on the road and had to use my bb. I will try tomorrow morning to disable the bb email and see if it makes a difference

(Phone isn't unlocked yet so I can't use it full time yet)