What's new

Getting rid of iOS 7?

Rossweisse

Reaction score
Hi. I've got an iPhone 4, and haven't felt any need to upgrade.

Last night, though, in a weak moment, I made the mistake of downloading iOS 7. The more I see of it, the more I wish I hadn't. I suppose I could live with the ugly Easter egg colors - but the contacts list is horrible (I have a lot of contacts, and I need to see all the letters, not just a few of them), the biggest problem with the calendar still hasn't been fixed (please, please let me jump to dates without having to go through every single month, the way my Palm devices always did!), and the battery is draining rapidly, even with most of the locators turned off.

I don't need this. (And the more I look at those horrible lavendar splotches, the less I think I can live with it.) How do I go back?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rossweisse

You can't. Sorry.

And for the Calendar, click on the year on the top left, scroll and then click on the month you need.

Well, thank you for the calendar help, anyway.

Any advice on the horrible battery life?

Is there a reason that Apple doesn't warn us about - er, promote - the changes an update like this one will bring?

Battery life for the first day of iOS 7 is always going to be horrible. iOS 7 has a few new search features as well as a new way to view photos. It took over 5 hours on my iPhone 5S to just index everything on it. Which killed my battery. Once it was done however, I simply drained the battery to 2% and then fully recharged it. Has been normal, well compared to my 5, ever since.

there has been tons of coverage on iOS 7 and how it looks for over 2 months. Apple also published two iBooks on the subject. So there was plenty of info on the subject to review.

I've been all caught up in packing, moving, and then discovering that I'd been robbed by one of the movers, so I have had insufficient time and attention to devote to this. My fault, but still. There should be a "dump it" option when you find it's not what you need.

I should add that I am not a devotee or a techie, just someone who wants her devices to work the way they're supposed to work, on demand and with minimal drama.

I'll give it a couple of days, and if I still loathe it, I'll look at other platforms. Seriously, why won't they even let us change the color scheme?

Last edited:
Unless you have iOS 6 or below blobs saved you can't downgrade on the iPhone 4

I just heard from an attorney friend that at his firm they've been forbidden to upgrade to 7 because of "serious security issues with the new OS." I feel sick.

LOL. Don't be. The security issues are actually trival in the grand scheme of things. And those issues can be turned off so they aren't even available. Someone is basically yelling "Wolf" at that firm because they don't understand what they are talking about.

Is there a way to fix my contact list? Is there a way to make my phone look like it belongs to a grownup again?

Not sure what you mean by "fix the contact list". Click on my name above the skull and cross bones and select private message. Attach a screen shot of what your contact list looks like. Because mine works great. It is easily showing 20+ character names with no problems.

It's A (bullet point) E (bullet point) I ... I need to see all the letters.

And I really feel the need for a Hello Kitty case to go with the tween-oriented color scheme. It's not very professional-looking, and I use my phone for work.

It's A (bullet point) E (bullet point) I ... I need to see all the letters.

And I really feel the need for a Hello Kitty case to go with the tween-oriented color scheme. It's not very professional-looking, and I use my phone for work.

WOAH... Mine doesn't do that. When I get a about 20 minutes of free time I will play with the settings to see which one can cause that.

I'm sure it's so that they can sort-of put the whole alphabet on one screen, but it's not working for me. Thanks for taking a look!

One CAN change the colors of the blobs, but it means changing the wallpaper. I had a beautiful Santa Fe sunset as my wallpaper, but the blobs turned lilac as a result. I switched to something pointless but off-white, and now at least the sight of the screen doesn't make me want to upchuck.