What's new

From blue to green...

danijoh69

Reaction score
Each of us has an iPhone. Frequently, when we send messages to each other the message will be blue, then change to green. Why is that? We have AT&T , are using Wi-Fi when it happens, and does not happen every time. All of us have IOS6. Does anyone know why this happens?

Each of us has an iPhone. Frequently, when we send messages to each other the message will be blue, then change to green. Why is that? We have AT&T , are using Wi-Fi when it happens, and does not happen every time. All of us have IOS6. Does anyone know why this happens?
yes what that is that when its blue you are using iMessage (which is free messaging) when its green the messages are SMS which would mean that someone you are messaging isn't using an iPhone as imessage can only be used on Apple devices......if your messages are green when you are both using iphone then i'm not sure why that would happen.

Last edited:
yes what that is that when its blue you are using iMessage (which is free messaging) when its green the messages are SMS which would mean that someone you are messaging isn't using an iPhone as imessage can only be used on Apple devices......if your messages are green when you are both using iphone then i'm not sure why that would happen.

I know about the messages being blue, it probably turns green after it's been read. Just guessing but it would make sense.

my iMessages stay blue even after sending,replies in the same message are a white background and black text,its the same with SMS messages,mine stay green with black and white replies.

They turn green when, for whatever reason, the message is not sent via iMessage; it is sent via regular texting (SMS/MMS). I don't know why they don't go as iMessage. I'm sure there are reasons...

Marilyn

I mostly text with my wife who has an android phone and they come in a green bubble with black letters. I don't know anybody else that has an iPhone to text to. Oh wait I got one, I'll try him now.

Edit. My messages go out that way, hers comes in a white bubble and black lettering. Now the text I just sent to my buddy with an iPhone was blue.

Last edited:
yes,just as i said.....i contact people via SMS and iMessage all the time and i have never had that problem of the the imessage being sent as SMS,maybe someone will know why that happens.

yes,just as i said.....i contact people via SMS and iMessage all the time and i have never had that problem of the the imessage being sent as SMS,maybe someone will know why that happens.

If the other iPhone goes out of wi fi and has cellular data or iMessage turned off, or is in fact not an iPhone, what would normally be sent as iMessage, (blue) is sent as normal SMS (green)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If the other iPhone goes out of wi fi and has cellular data or iMessage turned off, or is in fact not an iPhone, what would normally be sent as iMessage, (blue) is sent as normal SMS (green)

Now I'm confused. I am on wifi. I sent a text to someone who I thought had an iPhone. My background was blue with black letters. He came back and said he didn't have an iPhone anymore. Again on WiFi I text back and the bubble was blue.

His return text were white background.

So at some time you have made a successful iMessage to that number so the phone is expecting that to happen again next time you send a txt to it. If any of the conditions I listed above exist then the phone will, rightly, choose to send your txt as a regular SMS.

When you send a message to any iMessage users (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or MAC) and the messages are sent via data either WiFi or your cell phone data the receiver will see a blue bubble. The sender will always see the grey bubble. If you send to a non iMessage user or if you loose data momentarily then it will be sent as a SMS and you will receive a green bubble. Once again your sent message will be grey. When you use iMessages via data it will not be charged as a SMS on your bill. When it's sent as SMS then you will see it as such on your bill. I had to learn this because when I am over seas and I am communicating with my wife we always have to make sure the bubbles are blue. When they turn green we get charged international rates for SMS. I hope this makes sense..

Correction, sent messages are the ones that change from blue to green. Received are always grey.

Now I'm confused. I am on wifi. I sent a text to someone who I thought had an iPhone. My background was blue with black letters. He came back and said he didn't have an iPhone anymore. Again on WiFi I text back and the bubble was blue.

Can you please open messaging and look at those txts again. If they are still blue my world is upside down or some one is not paying attention.
Oh and all return text are the same color

im confused too,iMessage can be sent to other Apple devices that are connected to wifi,i send them from my macbook pro and iPad 2,but iMessages can also be sent from an iphone without wifi using 3G..... i wonder if your friend has other idevices or did he reply from a non i device?

Either he's messing with you and still has an idevice or that was a fluke.