What's new

From 5 to 5s worth it?

hardcharger

Reaction score
Anyone make this jump? What's your opinion? Also, what would be the least expensive way to get one? I'm not up for an upgrade until December of this year and I don't want to pay full retail. Can I add a line to get the subsidized price then switch the line to a basic phone? Just looking for options...thanks everyone!

Anyone make this jump? What's your opinion? Also, what would be the least expensive way to get one? I'm not up for an upgrade until December of this year and I don't want to pay full retail. Can I add a line to get the subsidized price then switch the line to a basic phone? Just looking for options...thanks everyone!

If your upgrade isn't until Dec, I think I would wait for the iphone 6.

If your upgrade isn't until Dec, I think I would wait for the iphone 6.

Agreed. I spent a half hour playing with the 5S and it didn't seem like a large enough upgrade from the 5 to warrant the change.

Agreed. I spent a half hour playing with the 5S and it didn't seem like a large enough upgrade from the 5 to warrant the change.
My wife and daughter got 5 and me 5s. Only difference I see is 1. 5s battery life is better (about 2% per hour) 2. Touch ID on 5s if you use a pass code and 3. 5s camera burst mode (although 5 can take pics when holding in shutter). But if upgrade is December, I would also wait for 6.

For my personal needs, i wouldn't even notice a difference ....except I liked the black color from the 5 more :). The only really differences i would know from everyday usage is the finger print scanner.

Nexus5/iPhone5s

For my personal needs, i wouldn't even notice a difference ....except I liked the black color from the 5 more :). The only really differences i would know from everyday usage is the finger print scanner.

Nexus5/iPhone5s
You are 100% correct. The differences I mentioned are unnoticed in everyday use and really not worth extra money for the average user. The scanner is nice. I even like the "plastic" body of the 5c, and think an upgrade to that is also an option. Speed is not noticeable. I'm upgrading every year on my plan, and waiting for the 6. 5s battery life is better, but 5 is still very good and I don't really need that additional battery life. Both phones go easily through a day and we charge at night.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have 3 lines and one of them is due for an upgrade in early February (it has a basic phone, no data, on it right now). I wanted to see if it is still possible to upgrade (and trade in my iphone 5) to the iphone 5s and then switch the 5s to my main line and put the basic phone back on the upgraded line to get the subsidized pricing. Verizon is giving about $350 in trade for my 64GB iphone 5. It would be a minimal amount out of pocket at that point. I know I have done this in the past but I wasnt sure if it is still possible. Once December rolls around this year, I will trade in the 5s for the 6, assuming that it is available and I like it better. Anyone done this lately??

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have 3 lines and one of them is due for an upgrade in early February (it has a basic phone, no data, on it right now). I wanted to see if it is still possible to upgrade (and trade in my iphone 5) to the iphone 5s and then switch the 5s to my main line and put the basic phone back on the upgraded line to get the subsidized pricing. Verizon is giving about $350 in trade for my 64GB iphone 5. It would be a minimal amount out of pocket at that point. I know I have done this in the past but I wasnt sure if it is still possible. Once December rolls around this year, I will trade in the 5s for the 6, assuming that it is available and I like it better. Anyone done this lately??

You should check out Best Buy when it comes time to purchase, they usually have better prices than the cell companies themselves.

Sent from my iPad mini with retina

I myself didn't make the jump to the 5s. Reasons:
1. Screen resolution is identical.
2. Form factor is the same.
3. Software changes wouldn't be noticeable.
4. Camera is basically the same.
5. Thumb scanner won't work with my case.
It was a good refresh, but not worth $200 to upgrade.
Check out prepaid plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no reason to upgrade My sons both have 5s's I have a 5 ...I just do not see 10 bucks worth of difference between them... I just feel like I would be stupid to waste my money and upgrade ...

That said I may not even go with apple when I do get a new phone... I really liked my previous Androids so I may go back

Bob G

Been waiting for so long. By that time, I might change my mind again.

Really it's worth to me and in my everyday use, I'm happy to carry on all my daily schedule with it. Fantastic fit and finish. Impressive iOS 7. Excellent sound quality. Incredibly fast processor. Unmatched app selection. Excellent camera. Lol! let me help you with clear view here on iPhone 5s.

To be honest the only thing that enticed me was the camera. Takes great photos