What's new

Fragile?

noddy

Reaction score
Just noticed my wife's 4S has a small chip in the plastic that borders the glass front. We took it back to apple and they swapped it. I checked the replacement before leaving the store and that had a chip as well! The third one was better but I wonder how strong this plastic is. My wife is worried about using it now.

From what I've sen and experienced... the glass is stronger than it's plastic trim counterpart.

Just noticed my wife's 4S has a small chip in the plastic that borders the glass front. We took it back to apple and they swapped it. I checked the replacement before leaving the store and that had a chip as well! The third one was better but I wonder how strong this plastic is. My wife is worried about using it now.
i have the same thing,how long has your wife had her phone?

A week. She left the plastic screen protector on until last night. When I peeled it off to fit a screen protector, I noticed it. She hasn't left the house with it yet as she's on leave from work. I did think she may have accidentally caught it on something, but it's such a small chip, it doesn't look like its the result of an impact. This was confirmed when I took a brand new one out of the box in the Apple store. Smaller chip and in a different place but still there.
Annoyingly, the Apple store employee said " I can only open one more box". I replied- " I don't think so- this is a £500 phone and we'll keep going till we find a perfect one!" luckily, the second one he opened was fine😃

A week. She left the plastic screen protector on until last night. When I peeled it off to fit a screen protector, I noticed it. She hasn't left the house with it yet as she's on leave from work. I did think she may have accidentally caught it on something, but it's such a small chip, it doesn't look like its the result of an impact. This was confirmed when I took a brand new one out of the box in the Apple store. Smaller chip and in a different place but still there.
Annoyingly, the Apple store employee said " I can only open one more box". I replied- " I don't think so- this is a £500 phone and we'll keep going till we find a perfect one!" luckily, the second one he opened was fine
right thanks,had mine since october and noticed the chip a couple of days ago but didn't know it was something i could change it for,trouble is you sometimes get a refurb as an exchange,i could live with the chip but its when you come to sell it,its bound to devalue it,i phoned apple and they made me an appointment for next wednesday so il see what they say.

right thanks,had mine since october and noticed the chip a couple of days ago but didn't know it was something i could change it for,trouble is you sometimes get a refurb as an exchange,i could live with the chip but its when you come to sell it,its bound to devalue it,i phoned apple and they made me an appointment for next wednesday so il see what they say.

That means taking your brand new slick wrap off 😳

iHolophyte

That means taking your brand new slick wrap off 

iHolophyte
i know,what are your thoughts,I'm thinking i can prob live with the chip but it may affect resale value,I'm told by apple that the replacement if they will do it that is will be new but the majority of posts seem to suggest that they can be refurbs

i know,what are your thoughts,I'm thinking i can prob live with the chip but it may affect resale value,I'm told by apple that the replacement if they will do it that is will be new but the majority of posts seem to suggest that they can be refurbs

If the chip is just that, a chip and it's hardly noticeable from the naked eye, plus the slick-wrap covers it I wouldn't bother. If the chip is such that you feel it'll knock down the resale price then exchange it. Downside of this is, would the resale price overshadow a refurb price?

Is there a way you can take a pic and post it?

Me personally I leave things alone if not broke.

iHolophyte

If the chip is just that, a chip and it's hardly noticeable from the naked eye, plus the slick-wrap covers it I wouldn't bother. If the chip is such that you feel it'll knock down the resale price then exchange it. Downside of this is, would the resale price overshadow a refurb price?

Is there a way you can take a pic and post it?

Me personally I leave things alone if not broke.

iHolophyte
can you elaborate on that last bit about "would the resale price overshadow a refurb price" is it obvious in some way that its a replacement phone for resale i mean?......edit-it doesn't show up in a photo,i just read an article where in korea if your phone fails they now get a completely new phone,here within the 30days you get a "refurb" with a different serial number that denotes it on resale as a refurb and therefore its worth less,is that what you meant,if this the case then thats wrong,if you had for months then thats ok but not within 30days

Last edited:
can you elaborate on that last bit about "would the resale price overshadow a refurb price" is it obvious in some way that its a replacement phone for resale i mean?......edit-it doesn't show up in a photo,i just read an article where in korea if your phone fails they now get a completely new phone,here within the 30days you get a "refurb" with a different serial number that denotes it on resale as a refurb and therefore its worth less,is that what you meant,if this the case then thats wrong,if you had for months then thats ok but not within 30days

Yes that's kinda what I meant

Example. If you sold your phone with a chip in it and the sale price due to this was £100, but if you decided to sell a refurbished phone that was given to you with no chips, but you had to state refurbished would this sell for more, less or the same price of the chipped phone at £100?

Basically if the chipped phone sale price is £100 and a refurb price is £50 then it's better to leave your phone as it is.
If the chipped phone sale price is £100 yet the refurb is £200 then it's better to go for a refurb.

If they are both £100 then why bother changing?

I hope this now makes sense, even I'm getting confused (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte

Yes that's kinda what I meant

Example. If you sold your phone with a chip in it and the sale price due to this was £100, but if you decided to sell a refurbished phone that was given to you with no chips, but you had to state refurbished would this sell for more, less or the same price of the chipped phone at £100?

Basically if the chipped phone sale price is £100 and a refurb price is £50 then it's better to leave your phone as it is.
If the chipped phone sale price is £100 yet the refurb is £200 then it's better to go for a refurb.

If they are both £100 then why bother changing?

I hope this now makes sense, even I'm getting confused (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte
trouble there is we don't for sure,what i did find out tho is that replacement phone(which may be new or refurbished)has a different serial number so a dealer in phones would know and therefore might knock the price down,i have decided to keep my phone as its very slight,i think tho that apples policy of giving someone who has had their phone for less than 30 days one of these phones is dead wrong,most electrical stores replace goods with brand new goods if they fail in the first month,i had to take my ipad2 back after 2 weeks and was offered one of these replacements,i declined and took it back to HMV who changed it with no quibble.

Last edited:
trouble there is we don't for sure,what i did find out tho is that replacement phone(which may be new or refurbished)has a different serial number so a dealer in phones would know and therefore might knock the price down,i have decided to keep my phone as its very slight,i think tho that apples policy of giving someone who has had their phone for less than 30 days one of these phones is dead wrong,most electrical stores replace goods with brand new goods if they fail in the first month,i had to take my ipad2 back after 2 weeks and was offered one of these replacements,i declined and took it back to HMV who changed it with no quibble.

It's wrong isn't it. Under the consumer rights policy we should be entitled to a new one regardless of where or who it's from. Apple suck when it comes to not giving you a new one and giving you someone's outcast refurbed one.

iHolophyte

It's wrong isn't it. Under the consumer rights policy we should be entitled to a new one regardless of where or who it's from. Apple suck when it comes to not giving you a new one and giving you someone's outcast refurbed one.

iHolophyte
yes,well korea got that changed,wonder how they did it,i think when i buy my next apple phone il check out the phone shops and see what their policy is first.

yes,well korea got that changed,wonder how they did it,i think when i buy my next apple phone il check out the phone shops and see what their policy is first.

I know when I bought my iPad 2 from Argos they said if its broke when you open it then get in touch with apple as its nothing to do with us and it's apple that will replace under your purchase rights. I'm wondering now after spending £500 and to get it home 30 minutes later to open it to find its broke whether apple would offer me a refurb? Or are refurbs after a certain date? It is worth looking into though. I'd go mad if I was offered a refurb after 30 minutes of buying it.

iHolophyte

I know when I bought my iPad 2 from Argos they said if its broke when you open it then get in touch with apple as its nothing to do with us and it's apple that will replace under your purchase rights. I'm wondering now after spending £500 and to get it home 30 minutes later to open it to find its broke whether apple would offer me a refurb? Or are refurbs after a certain date? It is worth looking into though. I'd go mad if I was offered a refurb after 30 minutes of buying it.

iHolophyte
the person who started this thread said his wifes phone was a week old,it stinks,this has really got me thinking,HMV changed my iPad without quibble so maybe the best course is to check every time,i would go mad too if that happened,needs checking out,its opened my eyes,i need to know about this serial number thing.