What's new

Found something new

ardchoille

Reaction score
Well I've had my iPhone 4S for over a month and am still finding new things on it. Today I was out and about playing a song in my phone. I accidentally hit the home button twice, I meant to wake/unlock it, and found some ipod controls where the date usually is on the lock screen. Apple seem I have thought of everything.

I have a few people that I call with extensions..and just learned the other day that I could add the extension number to the phone number and have it dial automatically.

dfweyer said:
I have a few people that I call with extensions..and just learned the other day that I could add the extension number to the phone number and have it dial automatically.

I wasn't aware that we could do that. Nice to know this phone makes things so easy.

Well I've had my iPhone 4S for over a month and am still finding new things on it. Today I was out and about playing a song in my phone. I accidentally hit the home button twice, I meant to wake/unlock it, and found some ipod controls where the date usually is on the lock screen. Apple seem I have thought of everything.

That feature has been on every iPhone model since the beginning.

That is far from a new feature...and has been there since the first iPhone.

zig9449 said:

I'm pretty sure he meant new to him. :)

zig9449 said:

The context of my content was not to portray this as a feature new to the iPhone. Rather, this is a feature that is new to me. My current iPhone is my first experience on any Apple product and I am still discovering features.

Did you think I was an iPhone expert?

darkstar2007 said:
I'm pretty sure he meant new to him. :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
The context of my content was not to portray this as a feature new to the iPhone. Rather, this is a feature that is new to me. My current iPhone is my first experience on any Apple product and I am still discovering features.

Did you think I was an iPhone expert?
i thought that you meant new to you too :)

Yes I am aware it's a new feature to you specifically.

you can dial an extension on most any phone that as a memory or speed dial function, by adding a comma or two after the number, then the extension number.

example '0442081234,206'

same go's for answer phones, add you access code after the comma, then add the play digit (commonly 1) number again after a comma.

example '0442081234,98,1'.

on the iPhone you have home, business, other but also custom labels like 'mail', so you can have your 'home' number which simply rings the home line, and use away box for the same number but adding the command digits as above.

now all you need do is say 'dial (your name)' it will announce multiple matches found and state them you now say 'away' or the custom name perhaps 'mail'

Good grief! I never knew this either! LOL! I figured there must be a way but have never looked into it. However my phone does not give me an option to put in a comma when entering a number. I have +, *, #.

Hit the +#* key and press pause to inset a comma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado8405 said:
Hit the +#* key and press pause to inset a comma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can type the number into notes to get the comma (pause) then copy and paste, but if you go direct to contacts as above it uses star, and hash to 'wait'.

Use # and you need to press send to proceed to next step, can be handy for some older PABX auto attendant equipment.

All this could be done on my 1st Mobile - the Panasonic 'satchel', but by the time anyone answered - the battery was flat lol!

Where i have suppliers, i use it to get through their menu's by adding the *1 for sales, *2 for accounts and so on.

You can customise the label by pressing on existing label and using custom at the bottom to call it by name.

I fit GSM remote gate operators, where you dial a number from your phone instead of having a remote to open you garage/gate etc, you can set up GATE, (garage) ONE & TWO to select which you need to operate.

Impresses the heck out of clients when using voice dial, and in turn they impress their friends/clients which is actually part of the phone not the GSM switch, but it gets all the credit ;)

Was "news" to me too. I just changed a few of my contacts that I was "waiting for the tone" to enter the extention. Than ks!