What's new

For anyone that wants to unlock iphone 4s.

shadecell

Reaction score
Well, Ive been trying to find a way to unlock my iphone 4s 5.0.1 and use it with another sim card in Peru. Ive read tons of posts, ideas, opinions,etc.
And just wanted to share my conclusion with you guys, so you dont have to browse 50min to get no answer.

You cant unlock you iphone 4s YET, you can however jailbreak it. (and it might be the first step towards unlocking it. i really hope so.)

We cant tell if it will be 1 week, 1month or a year until we get a unlock.

If anyone could post the possible teams that are working on it, it would a good idea, so we can look for any updates ourselves instead of asking hows it going.

Good comment. I am also looking forward to see the working team as well. Cheers

Jailbreaking really means nothing in terms of unlocking. Of course you must be jailbroken in order to unlock but that's only because you need a Cydia package in order to unlock. For an unlock to be developed, first the baseband has to be dumped and an exploit has to be found within the baseband. These exploits are a lot less common than firmware exploits because basebands do not change very much from version to version.

Since there is still not even an unlock for 04.11.08 which has been out for a year and a half, I doubt we will be seeing a 4S unlock any time soon.

So, the question would be, is the iphone 4s also using 04.11.08 or is it using a diferent or not so diferent version?

I read today that there is a better chance to unlock your iphone if your iphone 4s is 5.0.0. Makes me think musclenerd, etc. are working on it.

Jailbreaking really means nothing in terms of unlocking. Of course you must be jailbroken in order to unlock but that's only because you need a Cydia package in order to unlock. For an unlock to be developed, first the baseband has to be dumped and an exploit has to be found within the baseband. These exploits are a lot less common than firmware exploits because basebands do not change very much from version to version.

Since there is still not even an unlock for 04.11.08 which has been out for a year and a half, I doubt we will be seeing a 4S unlock any time soon.

I don't know how much time does it take after the BB is dumped... But I just wanted to let you guys know that the BB bootrom of iphone 4s(mind you, not 4 only 4S) has already been dumped by MuscleNerd(according to his tweet) on 1 Dec...
In his tweet he also said that
"Crazy Thanksgiving weekend! Very promising 4S unlock is in the works (Not i4, just 4S..that's crazy part)"

He also posted a small snippet of the dump. You can see it here http://twitpic.com/7kku4t

So everyone keep your hopes up that it wont take too long!!! :)

Last edited:
A dump means nothing.... until he finds an exploit(maybe never) there will not be a baseband unlock. Also, word has it that the unlock for the 4S will only be for the 01.0.11 baseband so anyone who updated to 5.0.1 will not be able to unlock.

Yes musclenerd did warn the 4S users(who are waiting for unlock) to not upgrade to 5.0.1...
I wanted to buy one myself, but as I live in India I cannot buy it now in hopes of getting it unlocked later(as all new ones will have 5.0.1 on it)..
And anyways iphone 5 is rumored to be launched around june.. So I will just wait for it and get a factory unlocked version of 5...

:phone: I'm an iPhone 4S (Sprint version no longer using Sprint carrier) with bb 1.0.3 waiting for an unlock. Mine is also jailbroken.