What's new

[Follow-Up] Online Petition to Stop Verizon From Killing Unlimited Data

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
mad-as-hell.jpg

The smoke still hasn't settled on the nuclear bomb that Verizon's CFO Fran Shammo dropped yesterday, but there is now a new way to express your frustration. There is now an online petition to stop Verizon from eliminating unlimited data plans for their customers. It is over at Change.org and we have included a link below for you. One could easily make the argument that even if millions of people sign the petition, Verizon may still follow through with their plans to "axe" unlimited data plans, so what point would their be in signing it.

However, even if that is true, one of my favorite quotes from Wayne Gretzky, the famous hockey player seems appropriate. He said, "100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in." To put it in perspective, you never know what might happen in life if you try, but you absolutely do know what will happen if you don't try... nothing! Now is your chance to be a part of an avalanche that may make a difference.

Here is your chance to let your voice be heard!

Online Petition to Stop Verizon From Killing Off Unlimited Data Plans

Last edited:
Some folks may not be fans of this type of music, but the lyrics seemed rather appropriate to this thread, so I thought it worth sharing: (also, don't worry... the lyrics of this particular song are not inappropriate. I double checked before posting this. In fact, the words themselves are surprisingly inspirational!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that with LTE speeds more carriers would offer true unlimited services but that does not seem to be the case at all

I thought that with LTE speeds more carriers would offer true unlimited services but that does not seem to be the case at all

This is what happened with SMS. Just 7 years ago texts were 2 cents to send or receive. Once teenagers started using it more than phone calls (which is where wireless providers made their money) they started jacking the prices up to today's cost of 20 cents a message. Of course you can avoid that by paying $20 a month for an unlimited plan.

Now that data is more important than phone calls and SMS, they have to find a new revenue stream because a lot of people are removing SMS altogether and culling their calling plans to the lowest minutes possible.

I am of the opinion that this situation is actually going to get worse before it gets better.

This is what happened with SMS. Just 7 years ago texts were 2 cents to send or receive. Once teenagers started using it more than phone calls (which is where wireless providers made their money) they started jacking the prices up to today's cost of 20 cents a message. Of course you can avoid that by paying $20 a month for an unlimited plan.

Now that data is more important than phone calls and SMS, they have to find a new revenue stream because a lot of people are removing SMS altogether and culling their calling plans to the lowest minutes possible.

I am of the opinion that this situation is actually going to get worse before it gets better.

in my home country sms still cost 2 cents per text.. (euros) but in the uk I think they are around 20 cents or 40 American cents and at the beginning no one sent texts but you're right as more and more starting sending them they started getting more expensive, I think from 11 cents they jumped to 20 in the space of a few months but they never cost anything to actually receive them, I am surprised they did that in the states. But now we have imessage and so many free ways to text so again you're right probably most people changed to the lowest plan and have no need for unlimited texts or calls when you can download viber and call or text free so now we need large amounts of data so we are being charged crazy amounts for each mega byte we use.

A part of me always thought that with LTE that would change as some carriers claim that they put on data limits due to abuse and the network being slow for others when it has no limit.. Just excuses it seems.