What's new

First Iphone and I'm SOL...

vili19

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I wanted to try the world of Iphones and on my first experience I believe I"ve been a victim of a either stolen or disabled device..

I bought if 2nd hand on kijiji... It was on teh welcome screen, I did not have a SIM card yet to register it and try it out, the guy told me just buy a sim register and you are set. I paid a lot of money for this phone and now I can't do anything with it, it has someone elses email address on activation but it shows **** I can't make out the email address.

Further reading I've learned that it's iCloud locked??

Am I really SOL on this one?

Of course the seller is not responding as we met at a public place for the transaction...

Thanks for all your feedback.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, vili19!

If the iPhone is asking for the former owner's password, it's still connected to his iCloud account, and can't be unlocked. There's also no way around this. The only option you'd have, would be to contact the previous owner, and ask him to remove it from his iCloud account.

This is what would have to be done:
iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone

In your case, as the seller doesn't respond, means that you won't be able to use this device. Sorry!

Not the anwser I was hoping for but thanks guys.

Good luck, Let us know if you have any luck with the former owner.

I'm
So sorry.
Yes sol.[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm coming to the conclusion that buying iPhones and iPads from Kijiji is always going to yield this result.

Although the number of stolen phones is decreasing in Canada, as a result of the "stolen phone database", Kijiji seems to be the place to unload stolen phones, and people keep buying them, in spite of warnings.

The blacklisted phone database, by the way, is maintained by the telecoms. Once a phone is reported stolen by a carrier, its details are entered into the database and it will never be activated by any carrier in Canada. It is so successful that thieves have taken to complaining about "their" phone being on the blacklist in the hope that they can convince a carrier to allow access to the networks.

So, DO NOT BUY any iDevice from Kijiji. The advice to meet in a public place, while obviously sensible from a point of view of safety, also means that you are unlikely to be able to trace the vendor when things go sour, and they will, time and time again.

You should report this to the police, but good luck with that. You are unlikely to get a result.

I always tell people to go to the carrier store it's safe and they can verify things like if it's been lost or stolen- iCloud locks and if the phone is on a payment plan still... It's sad that this stuff happens. My iPhone 6 was stolen- thankfully I was able to use where's my iPhone and the person was dumb enough to have it on- so I made a police report and it was recovered- shattered and broken- but it was recovered