What's new

Find my iphone

Moshe

Reaction score
Hi,

i was wondering how reliable is the "find my iphone" (mobileme) application?
is it 100% reliable?is the iphone's place it shows is always the true place or can it have mistakes by showing the location?

thanks

I only just recently activated this and have not tried it fully yet.

It's based on the GPS as I understand?

yes,for as far as i know.
but,i must know if it's a reliable application.and what is its accuracy percentage?
i need someone very profession to give me a reliable answer.
thankx

Last edited:
Reliable it is. Only downside is, if the phones switched off you cannot track it. So yes reliable for where it is, not reliable if the person switches off the phone!

iHolophyte said:
Reliable it is. Only downside is, if the phones switched off you cannot track it. So yes reliable for where it is, not reliable if the person switches off the phone!

Or drop it in a tunnel or car park.

But it is handy, I work a lot in London, travel in from Essex. That horrible moment when you can't find you phone and the sick fear sets in it has been lost, can be eased if you can locate it with your car outside on the drive :).

Next update step? I hope it to tell you if the phone is in the glove box, on the dash or down there with the handbrake - do I ask to much?

o.k can it have mistakes like for example.find my iphone will show by mistake that the iphone is at my work place while it's actually inside a drawer which is inside my wardrobe which is inside my house.
just want to understand if it can show that my iphone is at different location (mistaken place) if it's have problems to located my iphone

Or drop it in a tunnel or car park.

But it is handy, I work a lot in London, travel in from Essex. That horrible moment when you can't find you phone and the sick fear sets in it has been lost, can be eased if you can locate it with your car outside on the drive :).

Next update step? I hope it to tell you if the phone is in the glove box, on the dash or down there with the handbrake - do I ask to much?

(Laughs out loud) I like your style!

o.k can it have mistakes like for example.find my iphone will show by mistake that the iphone is at my work place while it's actually inside a drawer which is inside my wardrobe which is inside my house.
just want to understand if it can show that my iphone is at different location (mistaken place) if it's have problems to located my iphone

Doesn't have any problems identifying where it is. It will not tell you it's in a drawer though. Only the area which is within 100 yards approximately. It would have to be some clever software to say, "hi I'm in the laundry basket underneath the bath towel" (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte said:
Doesn't have any problems identifying where it is. It will not tell you it's in a drawer though. Only the area which is within 100 yards approximately. It would have to be some clever software to say, "hi I'm in the laundry basket underneath the bath towel" (laughs out loud)

It locates using the inbuilt gps sensor, that needs a decent signal before it can update. If you have switched that off at home then that's the last 'known' location.

I think you can use network location but far less accurate as it s using references and signal strengths calculated between masts.

is there a different reliable application that can function the same while the mobile phone is on flight status or even shuts down?

thanks

Moshe said:
is there a different reliable application that can function the same while the mobile phone is on flight status or even shuts down?

thanks

Use a belt clip on the phone attached to my attack trained mother-in-law ;).

Seriously though, short of putting a tracker on it the phone once in flight mode can not transmit, so can't receive request to transmit its location.

Normally the phone 'pings' for a local mast, when that signal is disabled then no way can it report itself.

Yes the find my iPhone feature has been tried & tested & yes it is a really cool security feature that all iPhone users should Not be without, Not only have I tried it out, but it was also featured on the Gadget Show, where they did a test & was able to track it down, as it sends you regular emails & you have the option to remote lock or wipe :)

Yes the find my iPhone feature has been tried & tested & yes it is a really cool security feature that all iPhone users should Not be without, Not only have I tried it out, but it was also featured on the Gadget Show, where they did a test & was able to track it down, as it sends you regular emails & you have the option to remote lock or wipe :)

There you go, if the gadget show says it works then it works! 😜

As far as I know, the app is quite reliable. Here you can find some Find My iPhone Stories which seem to prove that. I still think that the best way to find out is to try it yourself.

I have checked and it shows approximate location but iPhone must have access to Internet. Interestingly when I send message with alarm and lock iphone command via icloud account, it displays " your actions will be completed when iPhone will be connected to Internet" and when I again reconnected it can be known the message has been delivered. I think this app needs a more smart way of detection without being online!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net