What's new

Finally Sky TV in the UK to Introduce Free Sky Go Streaming for Subscribers

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
SKY_TV.JPG

I know this news will bring a massive and resounding cheer from Sky TV subscribers in the UK, it certainly did from me! Yes, finally it’s what we’ve all been waiting for, as Sky has today announced the launch of its Sky Go service on July 6 in the UK. From that date, all Sky TV customers will have the chance to watch Sky channels and programmes on their iPad and iPhone, as well as on PCs and laptops, at no extra charge. The service is called Sky Go, and brings together two existing services: Sky Player, Sky’s online TV service, and Sky Mobile TV. The new service allows Sky subscribers to watch live linear channels in line with their subscription while on the move in the UK and Ireland, according to Sky, with each Sky home being entitled to register up to two devices, through which they can enjoy access to live channels and selected on-demand content.

However, there is a slight fly in the ointment for iPad and iPhone owners, as it seems that for some unknown reason they will have to wait a little while longer than PC and laptop customers to receive the full richness of Sky’s programming, as to begin with the iPad and iPhone apps will only provide access to seven Sky Channels, namely five Sky Sports channels (and that’s only if you’re already a subscriber to those premium channels), ESPN and Sky News, with further channels (i.e. the ones we really want!) to be added over time. In contrast Sky Go for laptops and PCs will feature over 30 live channels right out of the box at launch, as well as in-demand content. Oh well, at least it’s a start I suppose!

Source: Sky TV via TUAW