What's new

Figure this one out??? Problem after screen replacement

cdestuck

Reaction score
So my friends wife drops her iphone 5 and cracks the screen pretty good. They ask me to fix it so I order a glass with digit, and led all in one. I do the replacement and all goes well until I turn it on. The display is in black and white, dim, and lines all over the place. Long story short, between me and a repair shop, 5 more displays were tried and they were all messed. So we come to the conclusion that the main board is also damaged. So I return the phone to my friend.

He takes it to Verizon and they direct him to a different repair place that they use. He goes there and they act like they know right away. So while he waits they get it all fixed up for 120 bucks. My friend asks but they wont tell him what they did or replaced. I was bummed cause I learned nothing.

So, any one here have any idea what they might have done? Thanks

So my friends wife drops her iphone 5 and cracks the screen pretty good. They ask me to fix it so I order a glass with digit, and led all in one. I do the replacement and all goes well until I turn it on. The display is in black and white, dim, and lines all over the place. Long story short, between me and a repair shop, 5 more displays were tried and they were all messed. So we come to the conclusion that the main board is also damaged. So I return the phone to my friend. He takes it to Verizon and they direct him to a different repair place that they use. He goes there and they act like they know right away. So while he waits they get it all fixed up for 120 bucks. My friend asks but they wont tell him what they did or replaced. I was bummed cause I learned nothing. So, any one here have any idea what they might have done? Thanks
There's one sure fire way to check if it was the logic board that was replaced. If you go to Settings>General>About and check the serial number and IMEI number, they will both be different if the logic board was replaced as those numbers are permanently assigned to the logic board and can't be changed, except possibly by Apple itself.

Last edited:
There's one sure fire way to check if it was the logic board that was replaced. If you go to Settings>General>About and check the serial number and IMEI number, they will both be different if the logic board was replaced as those numbers are permanently assigned to the logic board and can't be changed, except possibly by Apple itself.

Do you mean the IMEI and the MEID number being the same. I just checked my phone and those numbers are the same. And could they replace the logic board for 120 bucks

Pretty smart, that :)

Do you mean the IMEI and the MEID number being the same. I just checked my phone and those numbers are the same. And could they replace the logic board for 120 bucks
no, I meant that if they were different from the numbers that the phone had before the repair it would be evidence that the logic board had been replaced.

$120.00 sounds too cheap for a genuine new logic board, unless they use second hand parts.

The IMEI and MEID numbers are the same on my iphones as well.

The IMEI and Serial numbers are printed on the back of the iPhone box, easy enough to compare with those listed in the Settings app, as Scifan mentioned.

Since you tried 5 screens, so it is a problem of the mother board. I guess it is the plug FPC issue, the repair shop does want to tell you how they fixed, because they do not want you to learn the tech. However, since your phone is fixed, there is no need to know it. Right?

Of course I would like to know what they did to fix it. That's how ya learn.