What's new

External Battery Pack Advice Needed!

dadditude

Reaction score
I am in the market for an external battery pack for my iDevices. I have both an iPhone 4S and an iPad (first-gen). In a perfect world, I would like a battery pack with the following qualities:

• Enough juice to charge the iPad fully plus enough juice to charge the iPhone a couple of times as well.
  • At least two USB ports, so that I could charge both the iPhone and the iPad at the same time.
  • 2.1 Kilovolt/10 Amp output, on at least one of its USB ports, so that it can actually charge the iPad.

As long as it's not larger than the iPad, size won't be much of an issue.

1. How many mAh do I need?
  2. Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific products?
  3. Does anyone have any information on products to avoid?

I think that's about all I can think of. Please help me out. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Have you ever tried google.

Thanks EVER SO MUCH for the HELPFUL reply.

Yes, I can Google external battery packs all day long, but doing so won't give me recommendations for my specific requests. I THOUGHT this was supposed to be a supportive community site, but with people like you on staff, I can't imagine that I'll find much help here.

Have you ever tried google.
Forums are meant to get information from people that have already been through the experience. So the person is questioning here if anyone knows some good one. Google simply show you what the seller is saying, while forums tell you what the reality of the device/stuff is... am i right daddituched?

By the way, I ve seen one of Zagg with my friend, you can try the one, whose link is given here.

dadditude said:
I am in the market for an external battery pack for my iDevices. I have both an iPhone 4S and an iPad (first-gen). In a perfect world, I would like a battery pack with the following qualities:

[*]Enough juice to charge the iPad fully plus enough juice to charge the iPhone a couple of times as well.
[*]At least two USB ports, so that I could charge both the iPhone and the iPad at the same time.
[*]2.1 Kilovolt/10 Amp output, on at least one of its USB ports, so that it can actually charge the iPad.

As long as it's not larger than the iPad, size won't be much of an issue.

[*]How many mAh do I need?
[*]Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific products?
[*]Does anyone have any information on products to avoid?

I think that's about all I can think of. Please help me out. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

I can help with this.

You should get an external battery by HyperJuice.

Hyper juice makes an external battery that is: MBP-222 the 222-watt-hour battery, will give your iPad (first generation) 89 - 99 hours of ADDITIONAL wireless usage (or about 9 full charges) AND charge your iPhone completely over 40x. (but is completely compatible with all Apple products, not just Apple's iOS devices, and can even give your 17" MacBook Pro an additional day of non-stop usage.

Unfortunately, this isnt a perfect world, and there is only 1 USB port on any model of this brand of external batteries, but have proven themselves very satisfactory. it also weighs about 5LBS, but only about 10" long, 6" wide, & 1.34" thick.

It will cost you $449.95, but is well worth the money, as I use it weekly or when I am flying internationally and don't want to bother with US to EURO power converters etc... But if you don't want to spend that much, they have 60 ($169), 100 ($249), and 150 watt-hour models ($349).

Go to: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm

Also, i would, at all costs avoid the ZAGG sparq 2.0. I have one. i tweeted randomly one day, about a month ago that I wanted to try a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD. Well, ZAGG got in contact with me, and sent me over $350 in free products, one of them including the sparq 2.0.

The ZAGG sparq 2.0 costs $99.99 on their site, and claims to charge your iPhone four times, but if you manage to put your phone down for it long enough to charge, maybe it will, i don't know I never managed to set my iPhone down long enough, but, if you don't put your iPhone down, it will only charge your phone 1.5 - 2x.

I admit, if u need a quick charge, get it, but it won't save you in the long run. It takes too long to charge the battery pack, and drains too fast, and you get very inconsistent results. I am glad I got it for free, because I wouldn't spend $100 on it ever. Sorry Edge! Sorry, Peterthomas! :-/

Anyway, I hope I have helped you with this.

Last edited: