What's new

Emails not being removed

mgothelf

Reaction score
Hi There.
I have a problem with my email on my Iphone 5. I have several POP accounts, where they are set to remove email after 1 day, but nothing gets removed.

iOS 6 changed the behavior of the Email application to protect new users from themselves.

Go into the settings for one of your POP accounts. Look just above "Delete Account" and you will find Advanced. Click on it. Look for "Delete from Server". Odds are it is set to "Never". Change it to "When removed from Inbox".

That should change the behavior to what you want.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't want to remove the emails from the server, only from the phone. How can i do that?

When you delete them on the phone only it sets a flag in the database. If the email app thinks there an issue it resets all flags and redownloads. That is what you are seeing. I have has the same issue with my Verizon Fios email. I don't have a good solution. iOS 4 thru 6 all act the same way in this regard.

You are missing the point. I don't have any problem with deleting the emails. When I delete them, they stay deleted. They don't reappear.

My problem is that I get a lot of emails every day and I was looking for a way to delete them en mass. I have two jobs and a work email for each, and two personal email accounts. On my Blackberry, in the 'All Messages' folder, they were grouped by day, with a heading of each date. I could click on the header for October 11, 2012 and delete everything on that date and earlier. On the Iphone, i have to swipe every email, or open edit and press the little circle for every email to delete. I am very surprised that Apple could not find a more elegant way to delete emails other than one by one.

Thank you for clarifying your issue further. My answer however is still valid even though that doesn't help you because you are asking a "non-business class" phone to do a business level work load. This is why IT departments only very recently, IE this year, started allowing iPhones to be the main smart phone versus the Blackberry.

You have already summarized the issue. Apple's email app isn't setup to do what you want. They wrote it for the average person that probably gets less than 5 emails a day if that. You are not the first user and you won't be the last to complain that it can't handle 100+ a day properly.

I highly recommend you search the App market for a business grade email application.

Hi
just got new iPhone 5 [previously had a 3 then went to android..............didnt like the OS] however i am having difficulty deleting emails, i have multiple email accounts but when i attempt to delete i get the following message 'the message could not be moved to the mailbox trash'.

I have followed the advice from Skull One above: "Go into the settings for one of your POP accounts. Look just above "Delete Account" and you will find Advanced. Click on it. Look for "Delete from Server". Odds are it is set to "Never". Change it to "When removed from Inbox".

However thats not what i am presented with, from the advanced tab you can choose 'deleted messages' which then gives the following options Never, after one day, after one week, after one month'.

Spending too much time with a simple task such as this...........comments advice would be appreciated thanks.

Michael17

That is correct. Some email connections don't show that extra menu item. And have no clue what will cause it to show or not show.

At present, you will have to look for another email application from the App Market to see if it will handle your particular situation. Wish there was a better answer than that, but at present, there still isn't one.

ok thanks for responding skull one, at least if i delete from my mac it wipes off my phone, just a pain in the a** when I am away from the office :-(

come on Apple .......sort it out, lets have a simple solution, how difficukt can it be?

You are missing the point. I don't have any problem with deleting the emails. When I delete them, they stay deleted. They don't reappear.

My problem is that I get a lot of emails every day and I was looking for a way to delete them en mass. I have two jobs and a work email for each, and two personal email accounts. On my Blackberry, in the 'All Messages' folder, they were grouped by day, with a heading of each date. I could click on the header for October 11, 2012 and delete everything on that date and earlier. On the Iphone, i have to swipe every email, or open edit and press the little circle for every email to delete. I am very surprised that Apple could not find a more elegant way to delete emails other than one by one.

I found this for the earlier versions. In email enter EDIT mode.
Mark the first item.
Hit the MOVE at the bottom of the screen. Holding the MOVE unMark the previously marked record.
Take you finger off the all key.
A new window will pop up and ask where do you want to move the files. Hit Trash.
On the older units if you had 100 emails this it could take forever. With the iPhone 6 seconds.

A little klugee. It is even faster if mark all the items as read, prior to the move.