What's new

Email Calenders not syncing with iPhone 4 after iOS 5 update...

Deejrhodes

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. I just spent the last hour searching the threads here to see if anyone has had this problem. I don't see it, so I'm posting my problem.

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I just updated to iOS 5 yesterday and thought everything went smoothly until I went to enter a new appt in my calendar. The only calendar that actually has dates & apps or info in it is my yahoo calendar. I have everything in there. It is not showing up on my iPhone 4 calendar. Neither are my ATT or Gmail calendars. I checked my settings in general to make sure the calendars were checked, they were. It won't even show them to me as a choice to pick for my default calendar. It's not even giving me a choice for a default calendar. In the calendar app itself, all it says is "all calendars". It's not even showing me the iCloud calendar as a choice.

The peculiar thing is that everything is working perfectly on my iPad. All my calendars show up in there and all my appts. I've been putting new appts in on my iPad and they are syncing to yahoo just fine but not to my iPhone. Isn't that the whole point of iCloud? To sync everything across all your devices?

I've already tried restoring my phone from a previous backup and that didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've had the exact same problem all evening and I finally found a fix. I deleted my email that contains the calendar information (on iPhone Only) and re-entered it. Poof, it's all back to normal. :)

I've had the exact same problem all evening and I finally found a fix. I deleted my email that contains the calendar information (on iPhone Only) and re-entered it. Poof, it's all back to normal. :)

Could you explain what you mean? How can an e-mail contain calendar information?

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying this! I love the look of the new iCloud calendar and want to use that one. I have
Also been scouring the Internet for answer-your post here is the first match of yahoo/iCloud calendar I've found! I did start trying to actually delete my yahoo calendar in the settings-which may be what jennjv is referring to-but I got a
Warning about losing data so didn't continue. I hope we find an answer!

Here's an update. I realized that my phone had not done a "complete" sync/backup. For some reason it had errored out I guess because iCloud was showing the backup as "incomplete". So last night, I had my phone do a full sync to iCloud which took like 6 hours. Ugh. But when I checked my phone this morning after the sync, my Yahoo calendar was on there! Yay! The other calendars (that are showing on my iPad) are still not showing up...but it's not a big deal since I don't use them and they don't have info on them. But I'm not sure why they aren't showing up and ehy my yahoo one IS finally showing up. It's weird.

And to answer the poster above who asked how email can have calendar info... If you have a yahoo, AT&T, or gmail account (to name a few) you can use an online calendar at their mail sites. Your iPhone/iPad can also sync these calendars along with your mail and contacts. I've been using my yahoo calendar for years, much longer than I've had an iPhone. It has all my important reoccurring dates and appts in it and it is the calendar I use with my iPhone. That is why I was distraught when it wasn't syncing up.

Thanks for the responses!

Endra1168 - don't worry about the warning about deleting your data. It will only delete it on your phone, not on yahoo. If you then add the calendar back on, it will reimport the info. So you won't lose anything.

I had tried deleting my whole email account off and turning phone off and back on and then adding it back on but that still didn't bring my calendar back. Syncing with iCloud sort of fixed it for some reason... But just the yahoo one.

Thanks for your answer! I was coming back to tell you a cool trick I just found-you may already know this-I am slow! If you swipe downwards on your screen you get this neat box that has alls kinds of cool stupid, weather, top news from your apps and your info from yahoo calendar! So I may not need to delete anything! I must say so far I'm really impressed with iOS 5! Have a great weekend!

On your phone, go to settings then email, etc. Delete the Yahoo account (I restarted my phone for good measure) then go back and add the account. Go to your calendar, turn on Yahoo calendar. Then you can go to settings and make it your default if that's your preference. Worked for me and took about 60 seconds. Thanks jennjv!!!

Excellent - my first post here and hopefully this will resolve a most irritating waste of time today.

I've spent most of the evening battling this, so I'll try these solutions. This merely serves to confirm that which I've been suspecting for a while.

I acquired an iPhone mainly as a business tool. It really radically changed the way I work and run both my personal and business life. HOWEVER, when I've wasted most of my Friday evening trying to get it to update to the i05 AND THEN to get my calendar to work (you know, the thing you use to run your life - and perhaps your business!), I have to say I've come to the firm conclusion it's really just a toy for listening to music and playing games on. Actually relying on it, especially in a business context, would be a very dangerous mistake indeed.

Apologies for a rant on my first post! At least there may be a solution - that it's necessary in the first place is worrying.

Mike.

"1st time on a blog. Lost Yahoo calendar when updated to IOS. Read your answers and decided to turn phone off for 5 minutes. Turned it back on and everything was there. APPLE and Yahoo no help. Now, How can I arrange apps on my computer screen as I want them to be on IPHONE screen?"

"1st time on a blog. Lost Yahoo calendar when updated to IOS. Read your answers and decided to turn phone off for 5 minutes. Turned it back on and everything was there. APPLE and Yahoo no help. Now, How can I arrange apps on my computer screen as I want them to be on IPHONE screen?"

In iTunes, Apps tab, there is a representation of your phone's screen. Click and drag the apps icons to arrange.

Endra - what do you mean by this swiping down thing? I'm trying to swipe down and nothing is happening.

Endra - what do you mean by this swiping down thing? I'm trying to swipe down and nothing is happening.

Here's a vid that shows how the swipe should work. Look for it at just over 1 minute into the video.

#!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with losing all my appointments from my Yahoo calendar in the iphone calendar after the IO 5 upgrade. I followed the suggestions above, including re-entering the Yahoo account info, powering down the phone for 5 minutes, and changing the storage settings, all to no avail.

Finally, I tried a new calendar entry in the iphone calendar, and within 30 seconds, the phone had synced and re-imported all my existing appointments from the Yahoo calendar. So try making a new entry in the iPhone ... even a made-up one which you can always delete later.

Hope this helps