What's new

EFF Trying to Maintain Legal Status of Jailbreaking in the US

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
4790-jailbreaking-legal.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that digital rights advocacy group the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is asking members of the public to help them protect the legal status of jailbreaking in the US. This is because the exemption from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that has made jailbreaking legal is due to expire this year. The EFF’s Senior Staff Attorney Marcia Hofmann is asking “concerned Americans who want to run software of their choice on the gadgets of their choice” to rally round and get in touch with the US Copyright Office and let them know how they feel about jailbreaking. AppleInsider notes that it was the EFF that worked to ensure that jailbreaking received exemption from the DMCA in 2010, and this year it wants to expand the criteria for the exemption to include tablets and videogame systems specifically via its campaign, Jailbreakingisnotacrime.org, which asks supporters to sign a letter from hacker Andrew “bunnie” Huang, the MIT graduate and author, asking for jailbreaking exemptions to be expanded to include security researchers and “other tinkerers and innovators.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: EFF working to keep iPhone, iPad 'jailbreaking' legal in US[/FONT]

Hopefully they succeed, but in the end I don't care if jailbreaking is illegal, I'll still do it.

There is only one Return, and it is not Of The King, it is Of The Jedi

In my opinion there's nothing that can be construed as illegal about jail breaking if it's not sold for a profit.

Guys if you like jailbreaking make sure you stand up and do your part. I posted a similar thread here: Do you like the fact that rooting/jailbreaking is legal then listen up . We jailbreak/root because the manufacturer will not allow certain apps/features on the device that would make it better. It should not be a crime to modify your device that you paid for. If they are allowed to do this what is to keep businesses from going further and dictating what you can do on a personal computer. These cell phones are like and in some ways more powerful then personal computers and if we want to modify our device it should not be considered a crime.