What's new

During update to 5.0.1 and restore my iPhone went retarded......

Ghost999

Reaction score
So, I was updating my wifes iPhone 4 to 5.0.1 the other day. The update seemed to go fine, when the update had finished the phone was in descriptive mode (anything i touched on screen would be read aloud) I turned this off simply enough, but when I was able to get into settings I noticed that personal hotspot had been enabled, and a password of "gilles5544" was set to the hotspot...... This is not a password I use, nor have we ever enabled personal hotspot.... I turned it off, cleared the password and continued with the restore. No issues since. Just thought it was pretty strange. Anyone else ever see this?

The password is there for when u decide you want to use your phone as a wireless internet source or want to tether your phone to your computer.

So just like a wireless modem that u would put in a password so neighboring people cant use your internet with out that password.

The same goes for your phone if u decide to turn on your hotspot and connect your laptop via wifi if some one is close enough they can use your connection seeing as you don't have have a password to keep people out

I understand how an access point and security works, I was just a little concerned that after doing an iOS upgrade that (which should essentially format the device) that personal hotspot was enabled, and a password set to it..... It just seemed a little strange to me considering I had upgraded my iOS minutes before doing my wifes and when mine came back up it did not have Personal Hotspot enabled or a password set to it.... I have upgraded, reformated, jailbroke and unlocked plenty of iOS devices in my day and have never once seen one come back to life with Personal Hotspot enabled and a password set to it..... until now. Like I said in my OP, just wanted to see if anyone else has ever seen anything like this.