What's new

Dumb Noob Mistake

canuckken

Reaction score
Hi you all. I decided to sign up here to get some help fixing my iphone. I suspect that even after I get it fixed (if possible) I will still frequently log in here.

Here is the scoop. I had a motorola razr that was with Telus and had no sim card. I am no longer with Telus so I traded it for an iphone 3g 16g which was with Rogers who is the provider of my Experia x10.
So I get the phone and it was working great. The only thing was it still contained a crap load of stuff from the previous owner such as a a bucket full of contacts and music (not my taste). I think by now you might know where I am going with this. I decided to do a good thing and get rid of all that stuff not knowing what other personal information was left on the phone. Big mistake! Like an idiot I took a good working iphone and did a reset and erase all content. I think my fist mistake was not syncing it with my itunes. After the reset the phone is stuck in recovery mode with the picture of the usb cable pointing to the itunes icon. If I move the slider on the bottom I get the dial pad and saying that I can only make emergency calls.
Now the big problem is no matter how many times I have tried or what I tried I cannot get my pc to recognize the phone. I cannot even get itunes to recognize it. I have tried doing multiple things including deleting everything apple on my computer and reinstalling itunes, starting and stopping the apple Mobile Device and ipod service, placing the usbaapl.sys driver in my system 32 drivers folder, and holding and releasing the home and power buttons the way the videos explain on youtube. Nothing I do gets my pc to detect the phone. I even tried it on another laptop and also had no luck. When I check device manager there is nothing in there apple or is there anything in yellow. It is like the driver is not installed and the computer is not detecting it. I was beginning to think maybe the usb cable was the problem but when i use the cable with my charger it will charge my phone. Besides I am not the only person who has experienced this issue. What I am wondering is if not syncing the phone with itunes before I did the reset is now preventing the computer from recognizing it?
I thought that I would throw it out to the community hoping someone here has experienced this and fixed their iphone. I am not at a big loss if I cannot fix it but its a bummer that I now have an iphone I cannot use.

Your help will be greatly appreiciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, after all that it was the damn cable. Its working now.

G'day and welcome to the FoRuM!! :)

canuckken said:
OK, after all that it was the damn cable. Its working now.

often the simplest things are the hardest to spot - take my car keys, i'll spend hrs looking for them then the wife says they are right under my nose - and they were, it's a male thing lol!

welcome to the forums