What's new

dropped phone then something odd happens....will need full post to explain

osso12

Reaction score
Let me start from the beginning so there might be a clue in there somewhere.
Yesterday was my birthday. I was getting so many texts and calls yesterday when I was away from home I did a battery drain from 100% to 2% pretty quick. Went home around noon yesterday, but the phone on USB charge, charged to about 4%. Then I went to folks house to celebrate my birthday for the evening. Since I knew my phone was almost dead, I left it on, and took my USB wall charger with me to my folks.
I set the phone on the wall charger on a small table. As we were watching tv, my mom asked me if I had heard from my daughter. I told her no. My mom text my daughter to tell her to call her dad and wish me happy birthday. Well we are all sitting there watching tv, my phone rings. Its my daughter.
I excitedly go over to my phone while it is still on charge and do as I always do and upplug the charger. (first time I have done this with the the wall charger though..) in my haste...the phone is still in both the otterbox pro, and the hard case belt holder. Two layers of protection.
The phone as I hastily grab it to take the call, I grab the wire and the phone slides off the table and on to the hard tile floor on its back and not the front.
SMASH. Pretty hard hit. So I freak, grab the phone, and answer it and finish the conversation. All seems well so far, no broken glass etc.
When I arrive at home, I put the phone on the computer USB to get a full 100% charge over night.
I get up like I do every am, and remove the phone from charge. Then as Im at my desk, I notice my phone is ringing on caller ID but I do not hear any ring tone.... Odd to say the least. So I ignore the call as I am doing so site updates. The caller tries to call back again. And again, I hear no sounds.
I turn the ringer up on the side of the phone. It shows to be all the way up. Im like what has happened here?
I test the keyboard and try to text. I do not hear the default click sounds. Go to settings, check sounds, everything is still enabled.
Ok, so I turn the phone off to reboot it. Test the click sounds. I hear no audible sounds. Great. Phone may have got damaged.
So at this point I do not know if its software or hardware, or possibly broken speaker is my first thought of when the phone fell off the table.
I go through all my settings for sound, ring tone and vibrate. I can feel it vibrate, so vibrate works. Then I play some of my ringtones....
GREAT! I can hear everyone of them! So, I would think its not a broken speaker issue. All ring tone sounds play, and all click sounds in the menu play.
BUT, I cannot hear the phone ring nor can i hear the tones when someone text me. I can change the default sounds and ring tone sounds and try calling my phone from another but I dont think it will make any difference.
What has happend? What other things can I check?
Only thing I can thing of to do at this point as it is either a setting I am not familiar with that has tripped or its a software issue.
Only thing that I can think of is to do a backup ( i have firmware backups) with Itunes and do a complete reset.
The Itunes reset will be my last resort though. Other than that I do not know what to do other than to take it in for warranty.
Any ideas on where to start on this from this point?
Ill keep yall posted as we go.

Last edited:
ok clue...
I took the phone into the kitchen and plugged into the wall charger usb. As soon as I plugged it in, instead of hearing the charge alert...it vibrated...
that tells me it is a setting somewhere...
But where? Vibrate is off on both settings....
crazy! where is this mysterious setting??
I have had this phone over a year and never once had this issue...

plug phone into charger, phone vibrates twice to let me know its on charge....
Ringer volume is max...
WTF??????????

ok, what is the tiny button that is hidden by the otterbox do?
I never used it... seems to do nothing...
ok back to the manual.

problem solved. I guess that is mute?
Wow.. i guess when it fell on the floor the mute got muted?
But no indicator on the screen its in mute...
incredible...

problem solved. I guess that is mute?
Wow.. i guess when it fell on the floor the mute got muted?
But no indicator on the screen its in mute...
incredible...

When you slide it onto mute the screen should show briefly the ringer bell with a line through it. Also the slider switch should show red. I agree there should be some sort of silent icon in the status bar. I've often forgot I've put my phone on silent and miss calls. If you jailbreak you can get this feature...