What's new

Downgrading iPhone 3GS

____

Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently trying to downgrade my iPhone 3GS form 4.3.1 to 4.2.1

I got an iPhone 3GS 2 days ago and tried to jailbreak it since. NOTHING WORKS. I had iPhone before (3G) and I always found a way to jailbreak it, but now I am seriously stuck and I have no idea whatsoever what to do next.

When I first got the iPhone it was on firmware 4.0 and It has never been jailbroken before. I plugged it in to my computer and turned on iTunes, it asked about an update and I clicked OK (What was I thinking?! I have no idea) and so it updated to the new firmware 4.3.1... I couldn't find a way to jailbreak it, so I decided to downgrade it to 4.2.1, since I know how to jailbreak and unlock this firmware. And so the problems begin.

First time I tried to downgrade normally (shift+restore) but error 3194 appeared on iTunes. So I tried to look into that. I tried to use iREB and greenpois0n to put it in DFU mode, and it worked, it 'successfully' downgraded (with 1015 error at the end of the downgrade). The iTunes logo showed up on my iPhone and I tried to use TinyUmbrella to get it out of the Recovery Mode, but apparently it just decided not to work for me.

After that I tried to restore it, to 4.3.1 again, but when I turned on iTunes and it started to restore my iPhone, couple of seconds after, 3149 error appeared again and since then my iPhone doesn't work at all.

I wanted to try again today. I turned on TinyUmbrella, I've started the TSS Server and tried to downgrade again. After 2nd or 3rd time of numerous errors (3194, 1601 etc) I got the error 1015, but there wasn't anything on the screen. I thought it would be good idea (since it is already on 4.2.1) to just jailbreak it with redns0w. It looked like it worked but at the end it just never finished the jailbreak. I tried to restore it on iTunes, again errors appeared. Finally 1015, iTunes logo appeared on iPhone, again tried to use TinyUmbrella. After the reboot, the iTunes logo showed again. I decided to use iREB to get it out of the Recovery Mode but it did the same thing as TinyUmbrella. So the iTunes logo showed again. I turn it off an after couple of hours I have a headache, dystrophy of the muscles in my legs, and iPhone which is not even recognized by iTunes anymore. It just won't turn on, it has nothing on the screen.

I have NO IDEA what to do...

Maybe you can help me?

i am in the same boat..i just bought a 3gs and i updated the software when the pop up can up in itunes..i am new to iphones and really really could use some help getting my phone back on 4.2.1 so i can jailbreak it and use it on t-mobile. the phone is brand new out of the box and i dont know a lot about them. Someone please please help me i am stuck without a phone and i need specific instructions cuz i am an iphone virgin

If you didn't save them before you upgraded then you can't save them after.

You may need to delete the line you added in the hosts file to be able to do so...

Have you removed the line that you added in the hosts file...?

Yes I have, and it worked :) Thanks.

I guess I have to wait for the 4.3.1 jailbreak then...