What's new

Downgrading from 4.2.10 to 4.2.8

joeyyphillips

Reaction score
Hey I have the Verizon iPhone 4 I have 4.2.10 an I wanna downgrade it so I can jailbreak it. I tried downgrading it with tiny umbrella and I got it stuck in a restore loop or something and it took me about an hour to fix. Not even sure how I did it.. But I restored it and 75% in it said error. I went to tiny umbrella I changed something in advanced and it worked I guess. But anyway I wanna downgrade it. Can anyone give me a step by step guide or help me. Thank you.

If you have your 4.2.8 SHSH you can downgrade following this ***moderated - no external link*** tutorial

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the down grade, i have seen alot of people on this forum try and all i have read were nothing but problem after problem.

Is the shsh the firmware? I have downloaded that. For 4.2.8 do u mean saving it to tiny umbrella before I did the update? Couldn't I just use the downloaded firmware and create a custom one? I only have the shsh for 2.4.10 in umbrella I believe.

No, an SHSH is not the same as a firmware. SHSH is a key that tells iTunes that Apple is still signing the firmware and it is ok to restore it. You can save your SHSH with TinyUmbrella, but ONLY while it is being signed. Since 4.2.8 hasn't been signed for over a month now it is too late to save it.

And no, you cannot generate an SHSH. Each SHSH is unique to each individual device and each individual firmware based on the devices ECID, there is no way to generate one after they have stopped signing the firmware.

Well I saved a shsh from 4.2.10. But that does not matter for 4.2.8 then right? There is no way I can downgrade it then?

Is there any possible way of getting passed that error code if u don't have the shsh? Like there's gotta be some possible way.

Is there any possible way of getting passed that error code if u don't have the shsh? Like there's gotta be some possible way.

No there is no possible way to get pass that error code, and even let me say that you have save SHSH for that firmware you want to downgrade to, iTunes will still give you hard time. Most of the time nowadays it's not possible to downgrade anymore despite you have save your SHSH or not. iTunes grow up now.
You didn't save SHSH for that firmware don't even wait your time trying to downgrade to that firmware.

And there's no possible way to get that shsh? Damn

The only way you could have got the SHSH keys was to save it when that firmware was in your phone. Once that firmware is not present in your phone there is no way you can get that firmware SHSH keys.

When will the untethered jailbreak come out for 4.2.10? There's been a jailbreak for every possible firmware an iPhone has had what makes this different? You feel me.