What's new

Do not disturb

SuttonRider

Reaction score
Hi,
New to iphone, but I'm reaching the end of my tether with it. Thinking of going back to Android.
I have iphone 8 with ios 16.1
I'm trying to get 'Do Not Disturb' going on driving. I have a Ford Focus (2017) it hooks up with the car OK, I get the car icon at the top of the screen on the iphone, but when the mobile is rung I get the car notification sound and the phones notification sounding. How do I automatically turn off the phone ringer/notification when connected to the car?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum! As with most tech stuff the more full-featured the device/software the more there is to learn and get used to. This is a good and friendly forum with many knowledgeable folks glad to help. Hope you're soon able to get comfortable with your new iPhone.

There are now a lot of options for focus. The very specific one you're looking for is
Settings > Focus > Driving > While Driving > Automatically

Here's some Driving Focus specific info:

And here's a general link to Focus help to get you started:

Thanks for your reply, I've looked at what you've sent and I've tried to implement it, but it just doesn't work. For example I can set it not to ring while i have the DND screen open, but as soon as I put the iphone in standby and try phoning it the ringer rings. I just don't get it. It seems to complicated to me. I will battle on for another couple of hours then I'll go back to the android and dump the iphone.

Thanks for your reply, I've looked at what you've sent and I've tried to implement it, but it just doesn't work. For example I can set it not to ring while i have the DND screen open, but as soon as I put the iphone in standby and try phoning it the ringer rings. I just don't get it. It seems to complicated to me. I will battle on for another couple of hours then I'll go back to the android and dump the iphone.
A few questions. Do you have Driving as a DND option in your DND list? I have the same iphone and your question prompted me to look-the Driving button was not in my DND list. I added it (easiest way is pull up Control Center from the lock screen and then press the DND button-just above the Home button. Long press it. At the bottom of screen is a +. Click on that to add Driving to your DND options list.) Once you have done that you can go into Focus>Driving Focus>scroll down to almost the bottom to While Driving. Click on that and click the appropriate setting. Don’t forget to also click on Activate with CarPlay if that is what you also want. HTH

Thanks for your input bear. Yes I do have Driving DND displayed and I've selected 'When connected to car stereo' the car icon appears on the top of the iphone screen when I turn the ignition on and goes out when I get out of the car. But it will not stop the iphone from ringing. So I've had to turn the car notification sound off so only the iphone rings. It worked fine when I was using the Android so I guess the problem is with the iphone not the car. By the way I finally got the phone to handle the basic DND function. Is anyone else running a Ford (Focus 2017) with sync 3 and an iphone ios 16.1, and does it work for you?

Thanks for your input bear. Yes I do have Driving DND displayed and I've selected 'When connected to car stereo' the car icon appears on the top of the iphone screen when I turn the ignition on and goes out when I get out of the car. But it will not stop the iphone from ringing. So I've had to turn the car notification sound off so only the iphone rings. It worked fine when I was using the Android so I guess the problem is with the iphone not the car. By the way I finally got the phone to handle the basic DND function. Is anyone else running a Ford (Focus 2017) with sync 3 and an iphone ios 16.1, and does it work for you?
I have a Honda, so its different. But I have another suggestion. Focus>DND>Under Allow Notifications Click on People>click on the box that says None Allowed. Then click to the next section by clicking on the arrow next to People. Scroll down to Phone Calls and choose an option of those to let through. And then also click on the correct for you option about repeated calls. Also, is your connection through Bluetooth or CarPlay. If BT, that may be an issue.

Last edited:
I have disabled repeated calls and I don't allow any people through. All of that seem to be working fine, the only issue I have is when connected to the car no matter what I set up the iphone notification will not shut up when a call comes in. The work around at the moment is to set the car up not to notify so I just rely on the iphones notification. I can still make the call through hands free using the cars system.
I do have a question though. If I set automatic on DNDWD and the car come to a stop as in traffic will the DNDWD drop out?

Its not supposed to, at least while the car is in gear, I believe this but I don’t have mine set up that way. I don’t get that many calls. My car display screen shows the calls just like my iphone screen. I can ignore the call, which is not a big deal for me, or touch the red don’t answer circle on the screen and it goes to v/m. Or I can answer. Again, is your iPhone connected to the car’s info system by cable or Bluetooth? I don’t use my car’s BT, I have a short lightening cable in the car.

Sorry forgot to answer that. I connect via Bluetooth. I'll give it a test and see what happens.

Using BT rather than connecting by cable means you are not using Apple CarPlay, you are just using the Ford Bluetooth with Sync. Google problems with iphone on Ford Focus and see if you find better info. Everything I said reflects my experience using Apple CarPlay and I don’t know if the BT connection means your iPhone doesn’t know you are driving.

The only thing I use the iPhone for in the car is for phone and text calls. I have no use for car play. As I understand it the iphone detects movement when driving and that's how it switches to DNDWD but as I said what happens if you stop as in traffic.

I tried it on DNDWD automatic today and it's the same, both the phone and the car's notification both sound together.

Which Bluetooth there is an addition setting. You may have already done this.

Attachments

• C1DE95EF-FE7B-4F36-8900-45E280DE4A5C.png
    C1DE95EF-FE7B-4F36-8900-45E280DE4A5C.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 39
It dosen't make any difference which method I use the outcome is the same. I'm sorry to say I think these iphones are cr?p. They try to do too much and as a result fail.

Sorry. My experience is different but I discovered years ago that using CarPlay provides a fuller experience. I was traveling with a friend who used BT and was able to see the difference. I also know I have seen things online about problems with Ford Focus Sync. Bottom line is we all can choose our preferences but perhaps it might work better using CarPlay.🤷🏻‍♀️