What's new

Do I really have to delete all music when I get new or re-image old computer?

musiclover77

Reaction score
I have done some searching on this topic, but still cannot believe the answers I appear to be reading, so I figure I will make my own fresh post. Say it ain't so.

I had a couple relatives contact me recently, both with the same problem. They had either switched jobs which in turn meant switched computers, or gone out and bought a new computer. In both cases were looking to somehow associate their iphone device with their new computer, without having to delete all of the music that they already had on their iphone. I did some searching for them, and essentially told them that from everything I could see they were crap out of luck, unless they were to jailbreak their device which would give them access to the file system. At least then, they would be able to back up their music, most of which was not purchased via itunes.

Then, this week, my primary computer had some issues, so I decided to re-image it. Of course, I did not think about any potential consequences with my iphone. I was too busy backing up all my computers data. Never even considered the phone. Low and behold, now I am facing the same problem as they are. I can hardly believe this. Surely this cannot be true.

So, I re-image my machine, and then I connect into itunes after I get it reloaded, only to realize I have to delete all the music that is on my iphone in order to sync it with this computer, because Itunes is apparently too stupid to realize that it is really the same exact computer that it what bonded to before. This creates a very frustrating debacle.

I have a huge music collection. Far bigger than what can possibly fit on my phone. What this means, is that every time I re-image my home computer, I have to re-add (manually, drag and drop) all of the music that I want in my phone back into it from itunes. Then I have to go back through, and reset all of my ringtones for my contacts, etc, etc. all because of this stupid proprietary garbage functionality?

Please tell me I am missing something obvious. I just have a hard time believing that the designers could have been this stupid. It is this kind of lock down, that really makes me want to get a new phone..

Last edited:
Your summary is just about spot on. Then only thing I can recommend is switching to an iCloud account and paying for the space needed to backup your iPhone. This should remove the need for sycning to a PC.

Before you image the computer, backup the whole iTunes folder containing your library (in windows it's users/music/iTunes or something along those lines) and then do your reimage and get software installed. Before starting up iTunes copy the backup of the iTunes folder into the same location where you got it from and when you start up iTunes it should see the library and you shouldn't have this issue. I did it in my computer and it went off fairly well without any problems. If for some reason iTunes overwrites the folder, shut down iTunes and copy it back in again and it should work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well then.. The only other way around this is to pay money to Apple. Why am I not surprised?

Mickey... That info would have probably helped.. Unfortunately, I am now too far along to take advantage. My relatives were equally too far along, but good to know for future. Appreciate the 411.

I think saving your music on your Drive D or an external hard drive can make things easier.