What's new

Do i need to change my root password?

whitechokolate

Reaction score
I am wondering if I need to change my root password. I didn't install the OpenSSH client, but I have used iPhone explorer. Should I change it?

YEs if you end up installing openSSH you should change the default "alpine" password using terminal or ISSH from the app store. type su - root then type your password as instructed then type passwd

What if I don't install OpenSHSH? I have only used iPhone explorer. Is it still necessary to change it?

What if I don't install OpenSHSH? I have only used iPhone explorer. Is it still necessary to change it?

No no need to change it, unless you are really concern about privacy, then you should really know what you are doing and so you won't even ask this question, I've never changed my password, always default.

iPhone explorer does add a password let alone a default password to need to change anything so there is nothing to change unless you use openssh

Last edited:
What's openssh? I just jailbroke my ip4 yesterday and I don't want to get hacked.

What's openssh? I just jailbroke my ip4 yesterday and I don't want to get hacked.

OpenSSH is an app in cydia that allows you to access your iphones root directory through wifi, though it makes the default password :alpine: and its just safer to change that password if you ever install it

The only iPhone virus ever to affect general iPhone users was the one that used the openSSH default password to gain access to your device. If you change the password then there's no problem but you only need to do it if you have openSSH installed and turned on...