What's new

Do I have a virus?? Has ISO been finally infected.

Lincslandy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm highly sceptical with the whole concept that ISO is virus free? Surely this is an impossibility, no platform can ever be completely secure and unbreakable in this day and age? Just look at recent major security breaches in the media relating to supposed secure platforms/software/systems/security protocols.

Anyway the reason why I doubt this assumption even more is because recently I have noticed a third party app running in the background on my never jail broken and updated iphone 5. I can only see the application in a battery optimiser app, I can see no record of it in any of the phones settings and isn't displayed when the home button is double tapped.

The application in question has a Chinese name and is shown to be using power. The battery app I have always used since owning the phone for just over a year. During that time I have never any issues with it and as it was downloaded from the App Store. Surely this app is scrutinised by the same security protocols as ISO is. Otherwise it seems pointless for a 'secure' platform to allow the download and use of an infected app???

The rogue app has only been displayed in the last few days and the battery app is up to date. In addition to the appearance of this app my phone now repeatedly asks for my iTunes password. Which as of yet I have declined to enter, just in case. If these series of events happened on a PC I would heavily suspect some form of virus etc is at play.

So far I have tried the infamous turn on and off procedure, deleted and reinstalled the battery app and ran the ISO diag software as available on the apple website. But yet the rogue app is still displayed as before...

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I still have another year before I can upgraded and do lot have insurance or a care plan.

Cheers

Does the problem persist if you delete and don't re install the battery app?

Without the app I wouldn't know the app is running in the background... After having tested it phone still asks for iTunes password when it's not required.

Battery apps from the AppStore do nothing but pull data from your cache and reuses it, claiming your device is having a drain. If you want actual battery data, jailbreak your device and use battery tweaks while ignoring everything other than the discharge and temperature. If you want to know what's running in your background, you can use MobileTerminal, which is free from Cydia, and is more reliable than any app you get from the AppStore.

AppStore apps do not receive permission to be hosted unless the app is clean. Unless you've downloaded a pirated/cracked version of the app, or if you actually accepted any certificates that were trying to be imported when you ran the app, there is no way for you to get a virus on a stock device from an AppStore app.

Is or has your phone been jail broken if so you can receive a virus however if not forget it. As will has stated there is no way to get a virus on a stock standard iOS device. Battery apps monitor info and that is all if you are so concerned delete the app and stop worrying so much.

Apple will ask for password when
a) updating across different iTunes stores
b). Downloading new apps , books , movies or music
C). Apple will ask for your password for security confirmation
You have nothing to loose by answering the request.