What's new

Diving with an iPhone

wcosue

Reaction score
I have a method to keep my iPhone waterproof (vacuum sealed) and would like to take it scuba diving. Does anyone know what the maximum depth (pressure) the camera will work at? The tech specs list a max altitude but not depth. Thanks.

I would say no more than 30 feet. Even with actual scuba diving cases, the max is about 20-30 feet.

Leave your iPhone in the boat.

Buy a suitable camera for diving.

Resolved !

Another reason for using a proper underwater camera is lens aperture. The iPhone camera has a tiny aperture, which lets in a limited amount of light, causing noticeably darkened photos quite near the surface. The flash on the iPhone wouldn't be useful underwater as it's too close to the lens, causing every particle in the water to reflect the light from the flash right into the lens, where those reflections will be very annoying in every photo. That's why underwater cameras have the flash mounted quite far from the lens.

yeah, good idea, it can better protect your iPhone, and choose a good camera, will get more nice pics.

I thought it's no more than 10ft only? That's sooooo scary. Btter just leave my iphone on my bag than carry it while diving. hahaha

I am not even sure I would take my phone on the boat.