What's new

Different name, Same thing.

ardchoille

Reaction score
USA Ice Box....UK Refrigerator
The term "Ice Box" is not as prevalent as it once was, I haven't heard that term since the early 1970's. I've heard refrigerator or fridge most of my life.

Fun fact:
The term "ice box" was derived from the fact that people used to have an insulated box in their homes that held a large block of ice (delivered daily in horse-drawn wagons) and this ice was kept in the ice box to keep food cold.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The term "Ice Box" is not as prevalent as it once was, I haven't heard that term since the early 1970's. I've heard refrigerator or fridge most of my life.

Fun fact:
The term "ice box" was derived from the fact that people used to have an insulated box in their homes that held a large block of ice (delivered daily in horse-drawn wagons) and this ice was kept in the ice box to keep food cold.
Interesting, I thought that term was still used :)

carolineM

Reaction score
Pram is short for perambulator. It's a way bigger vehicle, used for carrying newborns and all of the equipment they require. There's usually a rack underneath for carrying shopping too. A pushchair is much smaller. The difference is that the ankle-snapper (US-child) within is horizontal in a pram.
There is a kind of off road hybrid version about now, seating up to three infants, called a "buggy".

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
US *no equivalent* UK chav (I had great fun researching this word first time I heard it.)

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.39.26 AM.png

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A muffler is only a part of the exhaust. Exhaust is a system of manifolds. Head pipes. Collectors mufflers and tail pipes.
Oh right lol, I never did take my mechanics course ;)

oldstratty28

Reaction score
Here in Australia we use a lot of the words either way. Eg., mail, post; fries, chips; hood, bonnet; pants, trousers, etc. Could be due to Australia being geographically, somewhere in between the USA and U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Australia we use a lot of the words either way. Eg., mail, post; fries, chips; hood, bonnet; pants, trousers, etc. Could be due to Australia being geographically, somewhere in between the USA and U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie English seems closer to UK English at times: bloke, petrol, bonnet and boot and out on its own at others: dunny, shot through, chunder etc.

Most reactions