What's new

Difference In Data Speed - WIFI vs T-Mobile Cellular

jimt29

Reaction score
Up until today I had T-Mobile data and phone service but canceled the data plan. I canceled because the service was very, very slow.

Attached are 2 images of the WIFI speed and the cellular speed. Very disappointing to say the least. Service in Rhode Island. Cell speed is Kilobytes and WIFI is Megabytes!

$speedtest1.jpg$speeddtest1.jpg

Getting on T-Mobile has got to be one of the worst kept secrets in the world. They advertise that iPhone users are welcome. That said, my iPhone is the iPhone 5 and it was purchased unlocked. It is also jailbroken which is not necessary to sign up with T-Mobile. It is running IOS 6.1.2 which is the latest and last IOS that allows the iPhone 5 to be jailbroken.

What brought me to testing the speed of the iPhone was an article that mentioned that T-Mobile was soon to be selling the iPhone but with its own radio for the T-Mobile network.

That was when I tested the phone and discovered that the data speed was incredible slow. I don't know what the "official" speed is for 3G but 3 kilobytes per second has to be about as slow as any phone data plan can be; anywhere. They do make it clear that it isn't compatible with their 4G network.

I'm back to their $100.00 per YEAR plan and will use WIFI for data and messaging.

T-Mobile to enable LTE for unlocked iPhones April 5
By Phil Dzikiy

News Editor, iLoungeGoogle+
Published: Tuesday, April 2, 2013
News Categories: iPhone

Following its joint announcement with Apple regarding official support for iPhones, T-Mobile will be sending out a carrier software update on April 5 to enable unlocked original iPhone 5 units to access T-Mobile’s LTE network, as well as previously authorized carrier-limited features such as Visual Voicemail. A report notes that the update will go out this Friday to all iPhone devices on the T-Mobile network using iOS 6.1.x or higher; carrier settings can be delivered to iPhone users without the need for a full iOS update. T-Mobile and Apple will launch a new version of the iPhone 5 hardware on April 12 with broader network compatibility than the current model.

How can I get my 4s on T mobile? I'm tired of sprints $90 a month bill.

Damn I have Sean no where new that fast neither way

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

The Gevey doesn't support iOS 6 for the CDMA 4S. The only interposer I know of that works on the 4S on any and all iOS and baseband combination is the R-SIM.

The Gevey doesn't support iOS 6 for the CDMA 4S. The only interposer I know of that works on the 4S on any and all iOS and baseband combination is the R-SIM.

Ok I did a search and it doesn't support iOS 6.1.2 CDMA on iPhone 4S. If you know of one can you please post a link? I am jail broken if that helps.

The R-SIM 7 or R-SIM 7+ will work on both a GSM/CDMA 4S on iOS 6.1.3 and below.