What's new

Did Apple just join the Digital Camera Market ?

tfalsetta

Reaction score
Did Apple just join the Digital Camera Market ($100-$200 digital cameras) & will now crush that market too?

Apple entered the Music industry & literally crushed the portable music player industry and has dominated ever since.

Now apple just released an 8meg 1080p video recorder in its new Iphone 4S….Like many of you I have been buying my kids digital pocket cameras over the years to either keep up with quality or replace lost/broken ones…..I have also wanted to buy one for myself for years…..BUT NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!

I have seen 1080p Video’s & pictures from the new 4S and it does look as good as any $150-$200 digital camera out there on the market….

Why would anyone buy a digital camera in that price range when they can have a phone/a device that gives you the ability to not only take quality Videos/Pictures but you can send them to an email address/upload them to a web site via wireless or your carrier?

Advantages of having a quality camera/video recorder on the Iphone 4S

· All in One device
· You can send your videos/pictures to an email address/web site to back them up after you take them to immediately free up space
o Even if you didn’t want to hook you Iphone 4S up to a carrier…you could use the wireless capabilities to email your videos/pictures
· Probably the biggest reason is never having to carry both devices

Now I agree that real photographers will not agree the Iphone 4S camera will do it all for them but the overwhelming majority of people use smaller $100-$200 cameras.

So do you think Sony, Canon, Nikon etc…..realize what just happened to them?

Sony knew. They are the ones that made the camera for the iPhone. And the reason they are not worried is simple. There is no ability to do a focal zoom on an iPhone. So until that changes, regular cameras will always be better and required.

I think they joined it with the iPhone4. Since I got my iPhone I have completely stopped using my Canon Powershot (which cost about $300, IIRC). In most situations I am getting better pictures from the 5MP iPhone4 than from the 10MP Canon. The camera probably takes better shots of distant mountain ranges and the like, but the iPhone is not half bad for landscape pictures and absolutely awesome at low-light indoor shots. I might have gotten slightly better scenery pix on my European vacation if I'd brought the camera, but the advantage of just one device to carry around (and charge up at night) convinced me to leave my camera at home. I did not regret it - I love my iPhone vacation pictures. I'm sure the 4s takes even better pics.

Is the technology for the 4S's camera in the camera itself, or in the processors and all that good stuff? Because if it's just in the camera itself, seems like you could buy a replacement camera for an iPhone 4S and drop it in my iPhone 4 and have the same camera. Because I just watched a video on the iPhone 4S disassembly and the camera hooks up the same and has the exact same dimensions as the camera in the 4S.

Not any major breakthrough, just would be cool if it were possible. Because then if it were possible, and then jailbreakers could work out the kinks in the Siri porting to the iPhone 4...then all the iPhone 4S would have left for new features is the A5 processor.