What's new

Deleting An App

clayfeet

Reaction score
Background: iPhone4 with latest update, iTunes 10, Win7 tower.

I need to delete a FREE app, then download the newest version from the iTunes store.

Two methods of deleting an app from an iPhone,

1. delete it "on screen",
2. or "uncheck" the app after the phone and iTunes sync.

However, after navigating to the same app in iTunes store, the app shows that is has already been downloaded.

After much Google searching, with no successful answer found , I did try deleting the app file from the Win7 folder "iTunes Media | Mobile Applications".

Yet, on reboot of both the tower and the iPhone, the app remains showing in the iTunes, left-side column window and cannot be downloaded from the iTunes store.

Frustrating.

You will have to delete it from itunes as well. Right click on it in itunes and send it packing to the trash and then you might be able to do what you need to do.

You will have to delete it from itunes as well. Right click on it in itunes

With iTunes 10, Windows 7, right clicking on the app's blue highlighted bar, within the Sync Apps window generates no response.

With iTunes 10, Windows 7, right clicking on the app's blue highlighted bar, within the Sync Apps window generates no response.

When you open iTunes, do not go to your device. Go to the apps section (it's where you find updates). Right click on it there and delete.

You will have to delete it from itunes as well. Right click on it in itunes and send it packing to the trash and then you might be able to do what you need to do.

Hmmm... maybe I missed something. I've always just deleted unwanted apps directly form the iPhone screen. Worked well. I never checked iTunes. R U saying that iTunes still may have my "deleted" apps after I plug in? If yes, then there's reason number 2355 for hating iTunes more than a root canal.

Thanks for all the suggestions; however, I remain unable to "right click" on the the app's blue highlighted bar, within the Sync Apps window.

xrayeyes, Thanks for the info! Worked great. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Thanks for all the suggestions; however, I remain unable to "right click" on the the app's blue highlighted bar, within the Sync Apps window.

Read my reply above...Do NOT go into apps on under "your device" (whatever you have named it)! In the left column in iTunes, under "Library... you will see Apps. Go THERE. Find the app you want deleted and right click.

Read my reply above...Do NOT go into apps on under "your device" (whatever you have named it)! In the left column in iTunes, under "Library... you will see Apps. Go THERE. Find the app you want deleted and right click.

$iphone_apps.jpg

See above, there is no Apps under Library.

I believe you need to go into Edit | Preferences and select Apps for it to show up:

Attachments

• $Image2.jpg
    $Image2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 280