What's new

deleating photos in photostream still usless

davedrizen

Reaction score
In my opinion the new deleting photo stream feature of the new ios5.1is very limited and just as useless.
Yes it allows you to delete pictures but only on that device, you still can not delete picture from icloud. This means you if have more than one device, you have to delete the same photos multiple times. Also if you turn off photo stream on a device and then turn back on all those hundreds of pictures that you have painstakingly deleted have reappeared again and you have redo the exercise again. Why can't we have a delete that will actually delete all our rubbish photos on icloud ?

Last edited:
Or why don't you just chose to have iCloud disabled. Then you don't have to delete and I quote, Your hundreds of useless photos"

iCloud agreed is a complete waste of time and the idea behind it originally was if I was in one part of the country and my wife husband girlfriend partner etc was in the other side of the county but both our devices was logged into the same account I could take a photo and it would instantly pop up on the other device. Great idea on paper rubbish idea in life. It's far easier to take a photo and iMessage it!! Mines turned off and will always be turned off if a photograph I take is that important to me then ill just email it myself there and then. That's my iCloud. I don't have to buy more storage that way either 😉

iHolophyte

It doesn't delete from the cloud? That doesn't sound right. Can someone else verify this? Apples write up says deletion from Photostream itself which means iCloud too. It would be unthinkable that Apple would make such an omission.

I have no intention of upgrading to 5.1 until there's a jailbreak for it - so I can't test this myself. :-(

I can confirm that the latest version of iPhoto 9.2.2 under OSX 10.7.3 DOES NOT respect a delete done on an iPhone from the Photo Stream. My system is 100% patched. And yes I am rather miffed to find it still doesn't work as "expected".

I can confirm that the latest version of iPhoto 9.2.2 under OSX 10.7.3 DOES NOT respect a delete done on an iPhone from the Photo Stream. My system is 100% patched. And yes I am rather miffed to find it still doesn't work as "expected".
That's not how I would expect it to work. The test to do is a 'deletion' from PhotoStream itself, accessible from iPhoto only, that will then reflect in all iDevices. The whole idea of PhotoStream was to make sure a photo taken on an iDevice would immediately appear on all other iDevices and computer. But a "deletion" option, permanent in nature, I would only expect to be done from iCloud itself or iPhoto. Is there an iPhoto deletion option from the PhotoStream tab? If not - Apple really blew it. I never expected "mirror syncing" for deletion as part of PhotoStream functionality. That would defeat Apple's original intention for the feature in my view.

One other functionality I could see - would be that immediately after a picture is taken, when PhotoStream is turned on - the iDevice would ask you 'post locally and on PhotoStream' or 'post locally only'. That would make sense and be in keeping with the intent of this functionality.