What's new

Data not working

PlatoCat

Reaction score
So I have no idea what to do or where to turn about this issue.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 11.2.5. It was manufactured for AT&T, but it's been unlocked and I have Straight Talk service.

For about a month, everything was fine. It worked perfectly. However, this month, it went from extremely limited connectivity on data to absolutely none at all. When I try to load something on data, it says I am not connected to the internet.

I've contacted my carrier service and they have been no help. They've sent me links to download the APN settings, but for the att.mvno, it said that the UUID was not unique. Then for the wap.tracfone, it said only one APN configuration could be installed at a time. However, it doesn't even show an APN configuration listed.

I've tried turning the data off and on, tried turning airplane mode off and on, tried restarting multiple times, soft reset, hard reset, resetting network settings. I've tried everything I can think of and everything anyone has suggested to me and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is and/or how to fix it? I don't have the money to get a new phone or switch service providers. There's got to be a way to fix this, somehow. Every problem has a solution. I just don't even know what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a carrier setup issue. Even though it’s unlocked it may still be set up for AT&T. I know back in the day I would buy unlocked phones (cause I was grandfathered in w/unlimited data for $20/mo) I’d have to set up the data service. Wasn’t complicated but it was also a windows phone. Not sure that’s your issue.

Sounds like a carrier setup issue. Even though it’s unlocked it may still be set up for AT&T. I know back in the day I would buy unlocked phones (cause I was grandfathered in w/unlimited data for $20/mo) I’d have to set up the data service. Wasn’t complicated but it was also a windows phone. Not sure that’s your issue.

Yeah, I had a windows phone before this and I had to manually set up the APN, but this iPhone doesn't allow you to manually change the APN at all. And it says there's no configuration profile in the first place, but won't download/install one, either.

Is it no connectivity everywhere? If you had limited service before it's possible you are not in a service area or need a booster for service. Who is your provider? How many bars do you get? Is your cellular turned off in settings? Are you able to send and receive calls?

Is it no connectivity everywhere? If you had limited service before it's possible you are not in a service area or need a booster for service. Who is your provider? How many bars do you get? Is your cellular turned off in settings? Are you able to send and receive calls?

I have checked the coverage map and my entire area is green. My data worked fine last month, with no issues. My provider, as stated in my post, is Straight Talk. I get full bars. My cellular is turned on. I can send and receive calls and texts. And yes, no matter where I am, despite having full signal and the LTE symbol next to my service bars, there's no data internet at all. It just says I'm not connected. I have recently even tried a restore through iTunes, as someone from a phone tech company said it usually fixes 99% of all the glitches and issues with iPhones, but that didn't work, either.

I have checked the coverage map and my entire area is green. My data worked fine last month, with no issues. My provider, as stated in my post, is Straight Talk. I get full bars. My cellular is turned on. I can send and receive calls and texts. And yes, no matter where I am, despite having full signal and the LTE symbol next to my service bars, there's no data internet at all. It just says I'm not connected. I have recently even tried a restore through iTunes, as someone from a phone tech company said it usually fixes 99% of all the glitches and issues with iPhones, but that didn't work, either.
Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to go for a Genius Bar appointment? They would perform a full diagnostic on your iPhone to determine exactly why your cellular data won’t work. If the problem is software related, the fix is normally free. If your iPhone has a hardware fault, they would quote the repair fee.

For some reason my photos are locked and I can’t even view them. Sorry.

Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to go for a Genius Bar appointment? They would perform a full diagnostic on your iPhone to determine exactly why your cellular data won’t work. If the problem is software related, the fix is normally free. If your iPhone has a hardware fault, they would quote the repair fee.

There is an apple store nearby. You wouldn't happen to know how much it might cost if there's a hardware issue? I wouldn't be the one paying for it and money is tight so I'm just trying to cover my bases before doing anything that would cost money.

Under Cellular Data Options do you have LTE set to voice and data, and not just voice as seen in the photos below. Also you may want to turn on data roaming.View attachment 39342View attachment 39343

My LTE is set to voice & data. I tried turning on data roaming, but it didn't do anything.

Reactions: 933
There is an apple store nearby. You wouldn't happen to know how much it might cost if there's a hardware issue? I wouldn't be the one paying for it and money is tight so I'm just trying to cover my bases before doing anything that would cost money.
The Genius Bar appointment is free and software fixes usually are as well.
The out of warranty repair cost for an iPhone is generally about half the cost of a new phone. They’ll give you a quote, if necessary, after they check out the iPhone.

Last edited: