What's new

Cydia Apps Backup

Matrix

Reaction score
Is there a way to backup all your 3rd party apps from Cydia whenever you have to do a Restore or Upgrade to newest Apple Firmware since Itunes doesn't recognize Cydia apps? Or you have to start over again and pay for the all the apps you bought in Cydia?

Thanks

you have to start again, not sure about the paying again thing i think it works the same as app store though you re download it again free, though i never bought anything from cydia, maybe some one can confirm.

but i know 100% for sure you cant back up any jailbreak apps.

could be wrong but I beleive there is a backup tool, once you have purchased your items cydia stores those details so when you upgrade you can download again anyway, just a pain installing everything again

its called aptBackup and its on cydia

that app never worked properly. does it work ok now?

I have no idea, never used it. Just read somewhere that there was a tool so just googled it and posted.

I myself have just had to install everything from scratch, and cant remember all the tweaks I had before, things keep coming back to me though, its just a pain in the arse.

might give aptBackup a go, seeing as a future update is not to far away, will test then and post my findings

i used to have that app installed, it takes a list of jailbreak apps and is supposed to re install it when you jailbreak again, but it never worked. but i have not tried it since 3.0 so i dont know if it works well by now. who knows

I have a paid app off of Cydia called PkgBackup, it makes a backup and stores it under your phone contacts so when iTunes backs up the phone it also backups the Cydia apps b/c it thinks the file PkgBackup makes is a contact. I haven't tried restoring from it yet. I'm hoping it will work when I upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2 when it's out, that I can jailbreak again, download PkgBackup again, and hopefully restore all the apps.

the pkgbackup didnt work for me
i kept saying it needed to hook up to wifi and couldnt find it
everything was on,so,i just used the list to get the stuff i couldnt remember

I'm curious as to what didn't work, that you couldn't create the backup to begin with or you couldn't restore from it?

I make a new backup every time I add a Cydia app and that parts working fine. It would suck if I went to use my backup to find it doesn't work but anything can happen. I guess I'll find out eventually when I finally upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2

i never used aptBackup before this weekend but it worked for me, but i did have to re-download all source for some repo's.

Yep, I decided to restore and move from limera1n Beta 4 to RC1b. Installed Apt Backup and did a backup. Restored in iTunes, did the Jailbreak, Installed AptBackup and voila all my apps were there. Had to adjust settings again in SBsetttings but my Theme and Lockscreen Theme Loaded Automatically. Only had a few apps like Winterboard and small ones but everything is back :)

i never used aptBackup before this weekend but it worked for me, but i did have to re-download all source for some repo's.

OK, did the jailbreak on my phone today using Greenpois0n and used aptbackup again and it didn't work for crap. Its ok though, it was time for a fresh start.

see i told you it does not work...
I finally updated to 4.1 and used Greenpois0n for the JB. I had purchased PkgBackup months ago and first used it last night to do a restore and it worked like a charm. I had no troubles with it at all, well worth the $$. Anyone who has any trouble with it should check the user guide though I had no issues:

PKGBACKUP - User Guide