What's new

Custom SMS

SuzukiGS750EZ

Reaction score
How do you get Custom SMS on the iPhone? I have a bunch of old tones on my old phone that I made and transfered on. How do I do it on mine? I'm famaliar with SSH and it is jailbroken, but i've never SSHd an iPhone nor do I know the file system, if that's how you replace sounds.

How do you get Custom SMS on the iPhone? I have a bunch of old tones on my old phone that I made and transfered on. How do I do it on mine? I'm famaliar with SSH and it is jailbroken, but i've never SSHd an iPhone nor do I know the file system, if that's how you replace sounds.

From what I've been told you can't use custom Ringtones for SMS unless you jailbreak.

From what I've been told you can't use custom Ringtones for SMS unless you jailbreak.

how can i get custom text tones

refer to post right above yours for the answer to the question you asked after the answer was already posted .... just sayin

That only works for ringtones. Not SMS tones. As already said you have to be jailbroken to get custom SMS tones

You can download custom SMS from cydia. If you want to use your own you will needto SSH them to your phone in System/Library/Audio/UISounds. You will need to replace one of the existing tones for it to work by naming your tone the same as the one you wish to replace it with, e.g. sms-received6.caf. Remember to back up the original of you wish to get it back...

I've tried downloading sms from cydia, they get thrown into winterboard. And don't even work then!

That cant be right, you telling me you have to jailbreak your phone just to get a custom sms tone.

I've tried downloading sms from cydia, they get thrown into winterboard. And don't even work then!
If you have a mac, download "iphone explorer" from the app market. You can make custom ringtones and sms tones and drop them right into the stock folders

Yeah I did it. I SSH'd into root>library>ringtones and replaced the ringtones. I imported my old .mp3 ringtones into itunes, changed them to aac then changed that file ending (which was m4a) to m4r. For the SMS tones i SSH'd into root>system>audio>uisounds then again i imported an mp3 in except this time i changed the import settings to aiff and converted. Dragged that to my desktop, changed the name to sms-received4.caf.aif then edited the .aif off so it was just .caf and replaced it into the sms tones. All done! Thanks guys, that was too simple.

Can anyone explain using the Windows Explorer method how to Replace the stock Ringtones with your own so they'll show up in the Text Ring tones folder? I dont wanna Jailbreak my phone as of right now.. I want to become more familar with it first..

Id really rather not brick my device if someone who knows more about the device can help..