What's new

Custom Ringtones Sound Bad on 4S...(Bug)

Rocko

Reaction score
I think I found a bug. When adding custom ringtones to your 4S they sound muffled and the volume is lowered. If you choose the same sound as your text tone it sounds great-loud and clear.

I hope this is not Apples way of forcing us to buy ringtones....

how are you creating the ringtones? might be better to try other software to convert it? unless you use itunes, but usually its down to the quality of the file you convert

Do you have a Mac? I download a free or real cheap app called "ringtone maker" from the app store. It lets you make 30 second ringtones from any of your audio files. It's quick, easy and the sound good and will play as loud as you want it to.

Sent from my i4s

Hey guys. I make ringtones and other tones at above CD quality settings. I use a professional Sound Editing program (Soundtrack Pro) to clean up the audio and to make sure the volume doesn't pop on the iPhone while at the same time making it loud enough to enjoy, most especially through headsets.*

I encode the tones at 192kbps and in 48.000 kHz *high frequency. At this setting you heard the full details in the audio. So you're not getting the usual low frequency, muffled tones that I always ran into on the web. Here are a few I have:

Star Wars ringtone with a Lightsaber ignition SFX for my text messages.

Doctor Who Theme (2011 Matt Smith) and Tardis SFX.

Superman Theme

30 Rock Theme

Happy Tree Friends Theme

Bill Nye The Science Guy Theme for you 90's kids out there.

For wrestling fans I have the Ultimate Warrior Theme and DeGeneration X Theme. I'm looking to add Hulk Hogan Theme and the nWo Theme.

Lord of The Rings Themes (Main theme and a selected track that became my favorite)

etc...

So if you're interested in above CD quality tones and you have a dollar to spend (they're only 30 seconds but it's hard to clean up audio and select the perfect volume etc...) shoot me an email with your requests. Remember it's only a dollar a tone. If its packaged like the Star Wars ringtone and Saber SFX text tone, don't worry, I'm not greedy, it's still a dollar for both.

Here's my email. This email is connected to my PayPal Account:

[email protected]

*I swear I am not a bot. Just a Stay-At-Home Dad looking for extra income is all.

It's not the quality of the file itself, it's how the 4S plays them. Listen to a OEM sound in settings/sounds/ringtones. Then listen to the same sound in sounds/text tones-it's much better and how it should be. The 4S is dumbing down the quality when used as a ringtone.