What's new

Curious about Facetime

a1insun

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking to have an app developed that uses Facetime. I don't yet have an iPhone yet though as I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out. I'm curious if Facetime is stable? Is it only for use with other iPhone users? Is it only available if one is near a WiFi connection? Does it work with a 3G network? Is there any speculation about the iPhone 5's capability with a video chat feature?

a1insun said:
Hi,
I'm thinking to have an app developed that uses Facetime. I don't yet have an iPhone yet though as I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out. I'm curious if Facetime is stable? Is it only for use with other iPhone users? Is it only available if one is near a WiFi connection? Does it work with a 3G network? Is there any speculation about the iPhone 5's capability with a video chat feature?

FaceTime is stable. It's only for iPhone or iPad/Mac users. With the latest firmware's it's only available over wifi unless jailbroken. That will change within the next few weeks when iOS 5 releases.

Thanks. I wonder is Facetime free between two iPhone users or is there voice or data usage costs?

a1insun said:
Thanks. I wonder is Facetime free between two iPhone users or is there voice or data usage costs?

It's free. In iOS 5 it can be used over 3G so you'll see data charges there

While developing this app check out your competitors...fring oovoo tango skype. An app that works flawlessly on 3G-4G-Wifi with 1on1 up to 4 with great speeds multi resolution options, cam/voice filters easy/adaptive gui, AND dual camera support would be a killer. Add in twitter-fb-aol-yahoo-(insert randomsocialsite) integration and youve got a money maker.
*i should be in school for programming*

Anyone know if it is possible to have a facetime video chat while at the same time bringing on the line someone on a landline, creating a 3-way conference call?

a1insun said:
Anyone know if it is possible to have a facetime video chat while at the same time bringing on the line someone on a landline, creating a 3-way conference call?

No that's not possible. FaceTime is between 2 users. Plus how is the person with the landline going to join in. Not possible.

No there is no such an option on FaceTime. Here is a screenshot when you are connected and ongoing FaceTime:
7b796f68-9a66-2448.jpg

No option to add or make a conference call, and I guess no option to receive additional call while in FaceTime.

It's free. In iOS 5 it can be used over 3G so you'll see data charges there

Can not be used over 3G unless its an iPhone 4s. Not necessarily iOS 5. My iPhone 4 is iOS 5 but FaceTime can only be used over wifi unless jail broke.

iHolophyte

I have a 4S and didn't know it could be used with 3G , thanks for the heads up.

Must the other person be on 3G also or can the be on WiFi ?

Depending on their phone. I.E if it's not the 4s then they'll need to be on wifi. You'll know as it won't connect at their end.

iHolophyte

The Tango app allows video calls over 3G without being jailbroken. You can even have video calls with Android users using the Tango app.

It's my experience that you can only use FaceTime with wifi. My boyfriend and I both have iPhones 4s, and we can use FaceTime only while connected with wifi. We were showing a friend our phones, tried to use the FaceTime and the phones told us we needed wifi. Tango is good, we use that, and I also use it with my deaf sister who has a Samsung android phone.